M&P compact , 10/22 and SW9VE

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by Northslope, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Northslope

Northslope Member

went back to the public range today, no crowd at all. one guy who was eating his lunch on a bench when i rolled up. beautiful weather and 60s. it was a gorgeous day to be outdoors.
    Took along my M&P 22 compact and a Ruger 10/22, also dusted off my S&W SW9VE a brick of Thunderbolts and 100 rounds of WWB 9mm. fired at 100 , 50 and 10 yds . the 10/22 with my cheap ass Barska 3-9 scope was as accurate as ever putting everything i threw downrange within the two center rings of a Dirty Bird target. the M&P compact continues to impress me with its reliability and accuracy . i fired almost two hundred rounds through it and the only malfunction i had was with 1 of 8 nasty ass remington golden bullets i found on the ground that all had strikes on the rim. all 8 went pow but the last one had a failure to extract . the pistol also flew apart in my hand and very quickly i realized that i had inadvertantly swept the takedown lever with my grip. first time thT had ever happened and i will be more conscious of the possibilty . i cannot grip this thing thumbs forward like i normally do , its very puzzling tho , ive always gripped it same as any other . the SW9 seemed to enjoy its time out as well , very accurate and i have always liked the ergos of this one , the trigger is fairly heavy but not horrible like the original Sigma. this is the second or third time ive shot it since i replaced the RSA with one from a glock 19 and it really made a difference in how it feels it has more of a push back now rather than a snap. it was a good upgrade. and it continues to have zero issues . ive had this one for about 15 years and shot countless rounds thru it , i believe the original price was around 299 plus tax and despite the internet bitching about its trigger i find it to be a really nice shooting pistol , all in all a good day. picked up a ton of 556 and 9mm brass too , to add to my piles when i one day start reloading.

SDProf likes this.
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very nice. I was going to shoot my 17 and finish zeroing the scope after work, but it was hella windy and about 50 degrees, so I went home and made beans and bacon soup instead.

moona11 and Northslope like this.

3. Northslope

Northslope Member

bean and bacon soup sounds like a good day! id like to own 17 someday. always been on my radar but seems i always gwt something else . maybe when all this crap blows over . im just thanking the good Lord i get to go back to Alaska and work sunday. they putting me up in a motel for 14 days of quarantine before i can fly to the slope but they payin for everything and giving me half pay for doing nothing for two weeks .

ajole likes this.
  4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Tease me with bean and bacon giphy-29.gif

5. moona11

I got lucky and got a nice mossberg used.

Northslope likes this.
  6. Northslope

Northslope Member

what model?

7. moona11

I believe it's a 817. Stainless bull barrel.

8. Rerun

Rerun Member

greg_r and Rufus Nathaniel REDD like this.
  9. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Now this would worry me.

No pistol should be able to dissemble itself while it is being fired.

ajole, Rerun and Northslope like this.
  10. Northslope

Northslope Member

i agree , and this is a first for me . it has at least 2k rounds thru it and i always grip it the same way. the slide flew off and hit the concrete floor of the firing line. it suffered only a very small nick thank goodness. but yeah, the takedown lever was swept to the unlocked position whick would have to happen with the slide back to start with . very strange. i will keep a close eye on it for sure . love the pistol tho

11. TheLASwamp

TheLASwamp Member

I have an SW40VE that I use as my truck gun. I like it, although I've not shot it much since getting it back in 2009 or so. It has the plastic guide rod that I'm not too happy about. I've heard it's possible to replace it with a metal Glock 19 one, although I have also heard it can damage the pistol if you use the Glock rod. Something about the spring not allowing the slide to come all the way back and it cracking the frame? There used to be a company that made the metal guide rods for the SW series pistols, but they don't offer them anymore. The trick would be to be able to remove the factory spring and put it on the Glock.

I've seen a lot of people who use the Glock rods without issues. I don't know why S&W would not just design the pistol to use a metal rod in the first place.

Northslope likes this.
  12. Northslope

Northslope Member

the original RSA that was in mine is still serviceable, i just replaced it as a preventative . the glock 19 RSA has a plastic rod too , they will last for a long long time .

13. TheLASwamp

TheLASwamp Member

The Glock 19 uses a polymer guide rod?

Northslope likes this.
  14. Northslope

Northslope Member

all glocks have polymer guide rods as far as i know , all of the models i have and have had do. the guide rod doesnt have much stress on it , all it does it keep the spring aligned. there are polymer guide rods that last thousands and thousands of rounds . the spring may be weakened over time , but u hardly hear of broken guide rods . imo , the polymer is a non issue .

Bertus and ajole like this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The poly/plastic guide rod is a good thing. Saves weight, costs less, needs no lube. The reality is, it bears very little stress, and isn’t an issue.

Rerun and moona11 like this.
  16. Razzle

Razzle Member

Pick up an Apex trigger kit. They're relatively cheap and provide a substantial improvement over the stock trigger.

Northslope likes this.
  17. Northslope

Northslope Member

ive seen them, but i keep my guns stock. there is also a mod where you can remove a spring and lighten the trigger but thats not something i want to do. ill train around the trigger and leave it as is . i actually bought an Apex Kit for a shield i had and ended up leaving it alone and giving the trigger kit to a buddy

Bertus likes this.