Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious is it necessary to get head spacing checked on a Mauser? I had read somewhere that it is not necessary because unlike the Mosin the gas has somewhere to go in the Mauser because there are ports for the gas to go down in the mag well :thinking:. Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, it's your fingers and face....

But, yes, you should have the headspace checked on any milsurp rifle. And if you plan on buying several, buy gauges so that you can check it yourself, its not hard to do. You really only need one per caliber, unless your doing some re-barrelling work. Just get a no-go gauge in your caliber, then go to the auto-parts store and buy a cheap set of flat feeler gauges. Take the .004 and .007 and cut circles about the same size as the gauge. If it closes on the no-go, slip the .004 between the bolt and gauge. If it still closes, add in the .007( for .011). That gets you to within the ballpark of most 'field' gauges, which is the max safe headspace. If it still closes easily, then its shoot at your own risk. I bet Krippp has a whole drawer full of them. They are not that expensive. Between $17 to $29( highest i've seen ). I have one in 8mm (the 20deg-48min version for the older 8mm rifles ) and one in 7.62x54 for my Mosins. I check upon arrival, and usually re-check after any extended shooting period. Never hurts to be safe.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
I didn't start checking my mausers until I read a horror story about a guy that had a blowback and nearly lost a chunk of hand, he was lucky, I chose to be smart and not let the $30 price of a gauge cause me to lose any flesh. Do some research on your guns due to the fact that mausers, even the old ones were often rechambered by various countries and have a mix of angles of degrees, even the older ones will have a variance sometimes, unless you are heavily into the collecting aspect then just develop a good relationship with a good gunsmith for the time being and allow him to check each one thoroughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts