M4 fans check out this video and give your opinions please

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by waltham41, Jun 11, 2008.

1. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU[/ame]

What say you?

2. base871

base871 Guest

noticed when they fired the colt, he was wearing a helmet, like they already knew it was going to happen. -1 on the gay bar music.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I loved the music... I'm glad we're giving these rifles to our new friends in the middle east...

oh wait! It's desert over there!
    [​IMG]

4. I also loved the music. However, I noticed that when they did the "fire while submerged" the barrel of the weapon WAS NOT under water. Other than that, it looks like it's a fine machine.

5. Ridge

Ridge Member

I noticed on the H&K he tilted the barrel down, which would allow the barrel to drain, yet on the Colt, the barrel is tilted back...

6. That music is a digitalized version of the music from the movie Das Boot.

Since its a HK ran test I kind of figured the M4 would loose, Im just surprised it blew up so soon.

On the other hand, I bet the HK costs even more than the Colt does :shock:

7. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

I find it hard to believe that an M4 would bow up so easily.

Even Completly sumberged many Weapons can be discharged and not blow up. Any one seen the Myth busters under water fire test??

also I doubt the Marines would use a weapon prone to explosion while landing on a beach.
    Or the navy seals or that matter.

I also Doubt Highly the army would ever in a million years let there regular PVT Murphy use such a weapon During wet weather training were you have to low crawl with weapon threw the mud, under the wire. In the Tunnels that are flooded with water.
    Or ever let them lay in a half flooded fighting poisition hours on end playing stand to and stand down during JRTC, or NTC.

I am also very positive that if the Colt M4 was so prone to self destruct as such, I would have had it happen during My time in the army in said situation outlined above.

It's just a marketing scam that seems to be working.

But then again what would I know,right?????!!!!!!!!!!!

edited or speling errors and typo's

8. Ridge, I can't say I noticed the same thing with the barrel. After watching the slow motion vids of both, he tries to hold the barrel about level on each one. There is a little tip from time to time up when firing both, but he brings them back down to level after. It appears like he's tipping it down for the H&K one at times due to the angle that the vid was shot at for that particular test.

9. It would be interesting to see a Colt video of a test between the two rifles ;)

10. Ridge

Ridge Member

Thats indeed scary...the pawn shop I bought my 995 from has a 20" Colt AR-15A2 for $999.99 used!

11. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

I'd trust a test done by Consumer Reports, Gun Tests or an independent laboratory before trusting any comparison tests done by a manufacturer. Most manufacturers have to much to loose by not rigging the tests in their favor. Independent testing is still the best benchmark for comparisons.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it. :p

12. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

How do you rig physics?

13. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

Short answer: you don't. But you can rig the tests to get physics to work in your favor.

Let's look at the setup.

H&K 10" barrel versus Colt 16" barrel.

2 second drain time for both.

Don't you think there is a big difference in the amount of water in the 16 inch barrel of the Colt versus the 10 inch barrel of the H&K? That extra 6 inches of water can and will raise the operating pressure of the cartridge and chamber to disaster levels. That is why the Corp always taught us to point the barrel either up or down and crack open the chamber to let the water drain out before firing the weapon.

Now I'm sure H&K ruined quite a few barrels before they came up with a length that would allow them to do what was done in the video. That is why the guy had on the helmet and body armor beneath the wet suit when he fired the M4. He knew what was going to happen ahead of time.

JMHO 8)

14. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Thanks HP Hooked... as i am not a poodle shooter, and that little bit of info was unknown to me... thanks. ;)

15. condition1

condition1 Member

I personally couldn't understand a word of it. And what is 'trough' technology?
    Sooooooieeeee.
    I'm not sure Hanz had on body armor though, but the helmet is a little tip of the hat. I also don't think the Colt was allowed to drain as well, either, plus the extra bbl length...
    H&K put in a fix, I do believe. And another thought, as a consumer (most of us anyway, at present) would we be firing under those conditions? Don't get me wrong. HK makes excellent weapons, but the purpose of that little piece is to sell firearms; IT WAS AN AD!!!

16. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

No prob, Strangerous. Knowledge is to be freely shared among friends.

This is the reason I like .30 caliber weapons. All you need to do is point the barrel with the muzzle down and the water runs out. With the 5.56/223 caliber weapons, the capillary action of water in the bore is much greater and will not allow the water to run out unless both ends of the barrel are open. Yet I still own a couple of those poodle shooters. Call me crazy but they are fun to shoot.

17. I have to wonder if that was a video aimed at the US military? The HK was full auto after all.

Remember Colt and the government have been having issues lately.

18. Ridge

Ridge Member

Apparently the video was actually made by H&K Marketing...seems enough bias to me right there...

19. yeah thats why FNUSA now makes the M16/M4s