Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard people talk about floating and bedding their Mosins and other rifles. Does this make enough difference to matter on a Mosin? Specifically the M44, though I'd do it to my 91/30 as well if it helps anything. From what I've read, it doesn't require you to bubba the rifle up, but I'm kinda confused to the whole process so I could be wrong there. I'm planning to use my M44 as a hunting rifle (though I'm leaving it in Nazi-slaying configuration, even with the bayo still attached :D) and it seems to be pretty dang accurate as is, but you can't ever be too accurate :)

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
in a word...No, it isn't worth the effort to try and get any more out of this gun than it is already capable of. to really get into the accuracy you would need to slug the bore, custom load bullets to match the exact dimensions of the barrel, install a Huber Match grade trigger, buy and install an ATI stock after bedding it also. Gets into sporterizing and bubba'ing real quick that way. Trust me, one mod leads to another and before long you don't even remember what it was to begin with.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I agree just get a Savage 308 and enjoy an inexpensive highly accurate bolt action.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I didn't really think it was worth messing with but I figured I'd ask the experts :p I'm definitely not interested in bubbaing up my Mosin(s). Also I'm not really interested in buying any modern rifles with their expensive ammo when I can buy 2 Mosins and 440 rounds of ammo for the same price haha.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I keep a Mosin so I have something that uses 54R ammo but give me a Savage any day. Doesnt even cost more than a Finish Mosin and is much more accurate and of course uses my ammo of preference the mighty 308. Might like to have a 30/06 but just havent the scratch to spend on such a minor whim.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After having that Mauser, I don't think I'll ever have another .308. Never in my life have I seen a cartridge with so many freaking variants and whatnot. I like to have a gun where if I find a box of ammo somewhere, I can pick it up and shoot it without worrying about the gun exploding lol.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
After having that Mauser, I don't think I'll ever have another .308. Never in my life have I seen a cartridge with so many freaking variants and whatnot. I like to have a gun where if I find a box of ammo somewhere, I can pick it up and shoot it without worrying about the gun exploding lol.
Are you aware of something Im not? Never knew of a Mauser in 308Win since the round wasn't even designed until the 1950s.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ah ok well that shouldn't have been dangerous being bolt action. Should have thought of re-chambered rifles. To much going on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts