Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front sight on my M44 is loose -- it slides left-to-right in the dovetail. I don't see a screw or other 'normal' adjustment, so I suspect that this is a "hit it with a hammer" fix. True? -- should I judiciously tap the dovetails closer together, or is this a real gunsmith job?

By way of further explanation, this is one of the 1943 eval units, so I _really_ don't want to screw things up. What to do?

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Is it the front sight that it came with? Before I tried modifying the dovetails on the sight mount itself, I'd try just putting some JB Weld around the sight (not on the rifle) to build it up a bit, filing it down as necessary until you get a nice tight fit. Or you could try buying another sight.

The front sights won't move at all on either of my Mosins, so I've never really seen how it works.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
you could peen the dovetail in the barrel slightly with a center punch but be careful when you do it and exhaust other options first. ive done it on one ocasion where circumstanced dictated its use. i would reccomend you have a gunsmith do it if possible.

SW

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
depending on how loose it is red locktite might be just what the doctor ordered!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.