M88A half-cock

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by mr_flintstone, Oct 24, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Hey guys. I've been trying this little M88A out for a while, and really the only complaint I have other than a heavy trigger is the slide mounted safety. It engages the firing pin block and disengages the trigger. It also doesn't have a half-cock.

I found an unused Polish Tokarev hammer at RTG Parts for $19, and replaced the one in my M88. BTW, the hammer in the M88A is the same hammer with most of the half-cock notch ground off. You can see the machine marks. Anyway, the new hammer makes the half-cock work perfectly. When half-cocked, the trigger absolutely can't be pulled, but when I engage the slide safety, ithe trigger yoke catches on the disconnect sometimes.

Now my question. Would it be better to carry cocked and locked or safety off at half-cock like the TT-33's? I don't like the position of the slide-safety, and I could probably thumb cock in the same time as thumbing off the backward safety. I could do both, but that would double the readiness time.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I never liked the half cock on my Yugo M57.
    I would carry that gun condition 2 instead of half cock.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My opinion? OK, well, fair warning, it's worth what you paid for it.

Condition One. It's "standard," well understood, well trained, and has lots of history in the 1911 lineage.

You can even get hammer-block strap holsters for 1911's so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too impossible to come up with one for a M88A.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk