M9 Bayonet ?

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by Dane, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Is this a real M9 bayonet or use on an AR type?

In another pawn shop by me?

Worth?

Attached Files:

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It's not an original. I had the first ones issued. My unit field tested a lot of gear

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There are a few different version of "real" M9's, and a ton of cheap fakes, and some decent fakes, and a few solid commercial versions made by real contract companies.

From WIKI:
    "There have been four main makes of M9s: Phrobis, Buck (subcontracted from Phrobis during the original Army contract), LanCay, and Ontario. Starting in 1987, Phrobis subcontracted Buck, finishing up in 1989. It was around this time that Buck sold commercial M9s as well, which it did up to 1997.

LanCay got its first contract in March 1992 (taking over production from Buck) for 30 (later 50) thousand knives (with General Cutlery as a subcontractor); in 1994, there was another contract issued for about 100,000 improved M9 models. In 1999, a contract for 25,000 knives was split between LanCay and Ontario (12,500 each). Ontario Knife Company also participated in later contracts, and is one of the current (as of 2005) contractors for producing them. These can be identified by the blades, which are marked "M-9 / ONTARIO / KNIFE CO / USA"."

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    What are they running? $135 seems high.
    They claim is is a phrobis.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't know...my AR needs an M7 to be right, and they are closer to $20, that's why I have 2.:p

6. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

You never know. China made a bunch of copies. HOWEVER, that's toooooo much. I agree, get a M7 Bayo. You're never gonna use to "wire cutter" that's on the M9 and in Germany we had a few Infantry Men damage their fingers trying to use the "wire cutters", wound up being "finger clippers"

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Phrobis knives were made by Phrobis, Buck, and Ontario, I think. Buck and Ontario also made their own contract and civilian versions, as did Phrobis.

They can demand high dollars...like $400...which means fakes abound.

I just can't play that game.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I am doubly amused, first that this dinky little thing somehow acquired the title "bayonet" and, second, that anyone thinks the M4 is a valid platform to mount a bayonet on. :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    So it seems I should look for a M7 in the $20 dollar range and forget this then is what I am reading here. :)

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I found a knockoff at the Palmetto show for $45. Made in china supposedly with US steel??