Mach 1: Hi-Point Slide Retainer Pin

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Donald4k, May 16, 2018.

1. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

Hi folks. Sorry I don't post much, but I do drop by once in a while to see what's happening. I just don't usually sign in. I've had a C9 since 2006 and am picking a LNIB JHP tomorrow. They're a nice fun addition to the collection.

I saw this part for a mod on that beloved auction site. I'm not sure of the offsite link rules, so you can search for it if you want to. It looks to be a threaded replacement pin for the OEM slide retainer pin. Cost is $6 with free s/h. The supplier claims that one can switch back to the stock pin anytime. However, if this mod cuts a thread into the polymer frame, which it certainly would have to in order to seat, couldn't this cause a reinstalled stock pin to have less tension than spec.

Has anyone had any experience with this mod? If so, have you reinstalled the stock pin since and noticed any creep?

hpfa.jpg

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well look at the big brain on Donald. Yes. Threading a plastic hole fu@ks up the diameter and weakens the edges. Using this basically insures if you ever need to send it in for repair, it will be destroyed and replaced.

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Someone bubba-d up their HP and decided to sell an elcheapo screw to bubba up other guns.......... stupid is as stupid does.

Don't do it! And thanks for stopping in:D

4. Zorba

Zorba "The Veiled Male" Member

I toyed with the idea of that mod - but it seems to me that screwing that screw in and out would put MORE wear on the polymer than tapping a pin in and out. So I didn't do it.

5. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

Got the JHP today. Odd thing is that the take-down pin on the JHP is in full alignment with the slide notch. My C9 has to be manipulated to get it to align for pin removal. My C9 has been fully rebuilt, too, all new springs and all. Is there that much variance between units in the manufacturing quality control? (Using my big brain again.)

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Different guns from different factories. Be thankful it's not an original JS-9. Needed a second person to knock out the pin while you held the slide in place.

Shove a toothpick between the safety and slide on your C-9

7. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

So Hi-Point specs are subject to interpretation?

8. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

How did you guess? I actually used a toothpick. Seems sloppy still.

9. cicpup

Vermont
    It's a Hi-Point. Just be thankful it doesn't blow up.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  10. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

So I take it that you're not a big fan?

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Or you can't spot humor. You choose.

12. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

Your sarcasm font isn't working.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Pay no mind to crankpup. He used to be a Hi Point collector until some OCD religious nut showed up. He's actually got plenty of info if you can learn to ignore the snark.

Donald4k likes this.
  14. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

It's the only font he has;-)

15. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

Thank God someone's in charge here. I was about to take my ball and go home.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Who, me?

captain.jpg

Donald4k likes this.
  17. cicpup

Vermont
    Rach. Stop giving them false hope.

18. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

I love mods. They get into the latrine troughs and clean them.

ratchowmein likes this.
  19. Donald4k

Donald4k Member

I'm not going to log off with 13 posts, so I'll take this 14th post and say that you folks have been welcoming, well most. :D See you tomorrow.

20. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

5CAC3B3B-B8A0-4F83-80A9-904565D108E4.jpeg
    The original schematic that is still used today.

Twisty, histed, Dave4903 and 3 others like this.