Mad scientists

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Goodwrench13, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Ok I know this is going to sound nuts but I figured if anyone can help its yall. I have a friend that does long range pistol shooting. He thinks hi points are crap. So I have taken it upon myself to prove him wrong. Now he said I can use any hi point with any mod i want. So I want to build a monster. So I come to yall for tec questions. Im looking to get another 995 for this project. His one stipulation is it has to be a pistol. So im going to legally turn a 995 into a pistol. So I will be cutting the stock a lot. Ok so first I know a c9 slide will not fit on a 995 but will a jcp slide fit

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    How far are "long range" pistols shooting?

Don't screw around. If you change a bunch of stuff, their excuse will be yeah, sure, anyone can build a gun to shoot well if they change enough.
    You have to do it with a plain old HP.

The good news is, if you know the holdover and have a steady hand and good trigger control, the gun will shoot fine out at 50 or even 100 yards.

Not saying it will shoot 1" groups at 100, but it will hit center mass repeatedly.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, if I read your entire comment literally.

The one big Glaring Error is that I don't think it is possible to put a C9 slide (or necessary) on a 995.

Best case, I think you could maybe, just maybe get a 995 barrel to work on a big frame HP, then figure out the proper length for maximum effectiveness.

Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying, but it sounds like a non-starter.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I've shot at a 100 yards with a bone stock .45 JHP
    If you look on YouTube you'll see guys with stock handguns shoot up to 300 yards.
    What "pistols" are they shooting?
    Highly modified single shots in small rifle calibers or regular handguns?

5. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

You can't legally make a pistol of a 995. If originally manufactured as a rifle, it is forever a rifle (even if it's a pistol caliber carbine). With a $200 tax stamp you can make it a SBR, but that takes months to process. I'd say just get a 995 and tune it up.

Polish the feed ramp, break in your mag springs, sand the underside of the slide smooth, make sure you have a modern firing pin installed, give it a thorough cleaning and lubing, and install a glock limbsaver grip cover to improve grip. Those few things will really improve its accuracy and reliability. If you want to go a step further you can get some high vis paint and do a little painting on the sights. Installing an aluminum trigger makes a world of difference as well. You could do one better if you can get your hands on a C9 comp, but as it's discontinued, finding one is a matter of luck.

On the extreme end, you could take off the rear sight, and drill and tap the slide to mount an optic.

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    One good thing is that the HPs all have fixed barrels, making them inherently more accurate than the tilt barrels.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    OK. Let's get this out of the way right away. You're Insane. If you could even pull it off, how does it prove HP handguns are accurate shooters?

Grab a JCP. Give it a "Buff n' Fluff" and make sure it's functioning properly. Then learn to shoot it. The pinned barrel design makes it accurate enough to pull off what you wish to accomplish. Why a JCP? Because shooting a .40S&W is easier than lobbing a .45ACP.

8. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

True I don't know much about the long distance shooting and my reason for asking about the JCP slide was to replace the slide in the normal 995 not actually interested in the 40 cause I was interested in removing the slide shroud from the 995 and getting a couple clamp on scope mounts and mounted directly to the barrel but after reading everything and giving it further thought I probably am just better off really fine tuning a 995 for this purpose

9. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Yeah. Much enthusiasm, but sounds like two guns might get ruined. Good luck OP, hope it works out.

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Am I missing something here? How does that help in a pistol challenge?

Now improvements to a JCP/JHP that will help you?

Joey Keychain - Doesn't help gun so much as your feel. Thereby helping improve your technique.

Mahan (sp?) Rear Sight - Made of metal and holds true better than stock sight.

Underbarrel Laser - Let's face it. If you can't pull it off with one of these then it's on you. Mom sells them.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/products.php?cat=12

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

First of all tell us what you're up against.

12. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

This is not his but looks a lot like it. His is a 223

Attached Files:

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Guys kinda a yutz if he wants to compare rifle chambered pistols, to pistol chambered rifles.....

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That won't do it...he's shooting pistols, not carbines.

No real need to polish the ramp, there are several grips from Hogue and Pachmayr that would work, and for irons, Mahan Sights would be a nice addition, they are capable of finer adjustments than OEM.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Yea. You've been conned. Hope you don't have any money on this.

edit: If you want a fighting chance stipulate he can use any pistol caliber handgun he wishes.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Then you are going to lose. This isn't even a contest, much less a fair one.

A: pistol rounds simply can't compete with the .223 for accuracy at 100 yards.

B: that's a Remington XP-100...it's really, really accurate. You want to beat that, you'll need another XP, or a Savage Striker, or a TC Contender...and you'll need to be shooting .223, .222, or .221, or one of the BR type cartridges...or maybe .17 could hang on a still day.

Now...if the guy isn't a douche, you might be able to produce some decent 25 yard groups that impress him...but you won't beat that gun, unless he just can't shoot it.

17. cope

cope Member

This is a stupid challenge at best. Hes calling HiPoint crap for long range target shooting as compared to a pistol made specifically for competition.

This is like him calling your volvo station wagon crap compared to his 1500HP dragster in the 1/4 mile.

Challenge him to go get you groceries in his dragster..... or more specifically ask him how he thinks his target pistol would do against criminals trying to steal your wallet as compared to your HiPoint.

If he wants to do a target shooting challenge put it in your favor. Stipulate the challenge is 15 yard targets, first one to get 10 rounds center mass. I bet youre done before he gets his 3rd round chambered.

18. undeRGRound

INDY

...lmao...

19. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Ok so its a ridiculously unfair challenge. I'll admit I don't know anything about other guns I only know my guns. So I bit off more than I can chew. Worst comes to worst I loses to him but I know my c9 can shoot a 3" group at 30 yards lets see how his glock fairs

20. cicpup

Vermont
    Oh it would be worst. Might as well be going up against a rifle.

Now your talking. Got time and money to tune it up? You'll make the little $#!t cry. He deserves it for trying to embarrass you. Return the favor.