Made a medium sized low profile backpack

Discussion in 'Hiking, Hunting, Camping Equipment and Accessories' started by CamoDeafie, Apr 26, 2020.

1. My wife has been using this pack regularly for her clothes, sometimes both our clothes for over night trips to the parents'; sometimes just her stuff for a few days while I use the bigger 2,000ci pack.. today; I decided to see if just the FILBE shoulder yoke assembly would work for this low profile pack. It basically is a half- framed pack now, with the FILBE yoke's rigid mounting panel. The thing is more comfortable, and feels lighter than when it had the ALICE straps, probably due to much less steel hardware vs the ALICE straps. I routed the two vertical frame mount straps on the FILBE yoke through the D rings on the pack, so as to provide a means of retaining the yoke to the pack without needing some extra sewing. The next Coyote brown pack or whatever in same size; likely will have fittings or attachments for the FILBE yoke straps to be retained better, but we'll see. I still gotta make that spruce green/Ranger green pack for the Foliage U shaped frame. 20201021_202058.jpg 20201021_202115.jpg 20201021_202038.jpg

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

3. Probably too much for you ;) $150 with MOLLE, $175 with 2 pockets sewn on outside like ARVN style ruck. I gotta get started on the spruce and ranger green ARVN style ruck first and see how it looks. Not sure if I can acquire navy blue MOLLE type webbing easily, or if it'd look better two toned tan 499 and navy, maybe? Edit. Or basic black MOLLE on navy blue fabric

Rerun likes this.
  4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I like that pack. Prefer the frameless, maybe just a stiffner. Plus I like how its expandable. Just enough molle.

5. I definitely will add more MOLLE to the basic design for the next single colored MOLLE version... however, I've been looking at my stash of green fabrics and noted one fabric looks mighty close to the newer ALICE med pack fabric color; and got me thinking. Perhaps something like the FILBE yoke in green, maybe with a longer stiff panel to attach to the bottom of a Med ALICE? I don't know yet. On the other hand, there's lots of ALICE straps still out there in great shape.. so that's a definite dilemna... perhaps an external pack stiffener board with ability to accept waist belts and ALICE straps? Again, I aint sure.

6. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Just a lil bit more Than my budget allows...

What do ya think about an internal frame Kelty?

eldar

7. They are pretty decent, if a bit on the heavy side for the older ones and the tactical/military ones.

8. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Other lighter brands?

eldar

9. I'd look at Eagle Industries, London Bridge Trading CO, Tactical Tailor's Fight Lite line (they might finally be doing packs with 500D fabrics?); for tactical backpacks that is. For regular backpacks; Osprey, Helikon Tex @greg_r , and Gregory all make good, relatively lightweight packs.

Edit. Forgot Lowe Alpine, which makes decent lightweight backpacks for camping/mountaineering.
    The big question though... what is the purpose of this backpack you're looking for?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Rerun likes this.
  10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

A one week (8 days) BoB.

About 50-55 pounds of food, clothing, tools, water, and assorted survival goods.

eldar

11. Well. That sounds like a lot of stuff. I'm not sure you can get lighter before getting stupid expensive (as in half a grand or more)... might want to see how much space all that takes up, then figure out from there? Maybe start with totes, see how full and how large a tote gets to fit all that, then find a pack with similar cubic inches?

12. greg_r

Guess I am just not a huge fan of MOLLE. I like it as attachment points, much better than the ALICE clips I used so much. But I want it to be subtle.

Still. I really like your new design.

13. greg_r

You need to look at surplus if you want to carry that much much and stay under $100. For week long trips (one coming up soon! Hunting season!) I will be using the Hidden Woodsman Deep Woods Ruck. For years I have been using the large ALICE. I bought the MOLLE II Rifleman Pack. Comfortable and large, I just did not like it.

Beware the larger cheap packs. The sticking is taxed with heavy loads.

14. With the sustainment pouches, only the bottom row of the top two rows and the top row of the bottom two rows were engaged. I could move the rows closer in the middle space but by then, adding 1 more row in the middle would make sense for the design. I could have done it the MOLLE Rifleman way with less and more specifically for 1 or two sustainment pockets but that removes the ability to use other pouches

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

From my neck of the woods, 55 pounds is not a heavy load.
    Double that is a heavy load.

55 pounds consists of 1-2 pounds of food per day, 2 gallons of water, change of clothes, jacket, raingear, woobie, two pair of socks, moccasins, fak, basic tool set, gun cleaning kit, firebuilding kit, cordage, tarp, sewing kit, toiletries, bug spray, boonies, spare ammo, AR-7 with 4 magazines, handgun with two magazines.

Rifle with magazines carried separately.

eldar

16. Its not just the weight but the bulk. Sure 55lbs just ammo can be a small bit sturdy pack ;) on the other hand, 55 pounds of down feathers means a fucking huge sack lol.
    You're in Texas, aren't ya? Maybe the DCU MOLLE Large rucksacks would be good. Easier to carry a food canister to keep food safe from feral hogs, and ample storage space to attach for things

Rerun likes this.
  17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I live in the freaking desert, and NO ONE carries 2 gallons of water on their back.:cool: 16 pounds of water? NO ONE. Even if you use horses, NO ONE packs that much water.

2 pounds of food per day? That's nuts. Or cans, or something else silly. You never heard of packing light, or dehydrated or freeze dried food?

WTF are you doing carrying an AR7, AND a handgun, AND a rifle?o_O

I can find any number of decent $100 60 L bags out there that are FAR better than milsurp. They may not last 20 years...but they'll do the job better and save your knees and back, so YOU might last 20 years.:D

CamoDeafie likes this.
  18. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The AR-7 is for hunting quietly.

The handgun is to allow me to get to the rifle for anything larger than small game.

Two gallons of water is only 16.8 pounds.

Two pounds of food per day is typical rations. It includes MRE's, Mountain House, Wise, and assorted tuna packs, energy bars, Cliff bars and coffee, tea.

I've travelled like this cross country for several decades.

I used to strap on 65 pounds of armour and basinet helm, sword and shield and fight others for a full day for fun!

eldar

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I guess I'm just lazy and cheap but I still rock my issued MarPat ILBE XL ruck w/ assault pack. Held me out just fine plenty of times...

Rerun and CamoDeafie like this.
  20. greg_r

Gregory or Osprey 65 liter packs start at over $150 and go up from there. The Savotta, probably amongst the best, is close to $400. You can get a Teton for under $100, but I would not trust the buckles or stitching to a 60# load a half days hike from the vehicle.

I have used the ALICE, both medium and large for half a century. Back is just fine. The left knee is not, but that’s due to a fall, nothing to do with a pack. The MOLLE 2 pack, granted, was more comfortable, but I hated it. The ALICE frame, BTW, can be improved on. Just put a Hidden Woodsmen Deep Woods Ruck on it along with a Fireforce suspension and waist pad. The difference is night and day. But the $100 budget is blown.

‘There can be good deals on used quality packs. Just be careful. The best pack that’s been end to end on the AT could be good...or not. Depending on how it’s been taken care of. A surplus pack is the same. Look them over good before buying.

Rerun likes this.