Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading on another post here, it has been mentioned to load your mags and let them set.

I have been told to just the opposite with the mags I have for all my firearms, for that matter.

How long should you keep your mags loaded ?

If so, should they be fully loaded (9 rounds for the .45) ?

I was told the compressed spring would fail in any mag if left loaded for too long, but I have also been told things that I leave open to question and discussion before making a decision.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The whole "spring set/fatigue" thing is a myth and is way overblown. Springs do not lose tension from being left compressed, they lose tension from cycling.

That being said, for some reason, loading and leaving HP mag's loaded for a week or so prior to using them, seems to help prevent some feeding issues. I loaded my JHP mags when I brought the pistol home in June and the only time they have been empty is when I fired them, and then only the length of time it took to reload them.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Compressing a spring does not hurt it, it is when you over extend a spring that it hurts it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
All (3) of my GSG-5 mags (hi- and low-cap) worked flawlessly their first time out. This goes for my AK and Mini-14 mags as well. As stated previously, a very overblown myth. Don't lose any sleep over it :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I leave ALL my mags full. All my guns are loaded. I know some one is going to say that is bad. That is just the way I am.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think I have determined why loading Hi Point mags and letting them set helps... it does nothing to the spring tension but what it does do is hold a rounds against the feed lip with quite a bit of force.. this causes the flexible lips to conform... I have measure a unused mags feedlips and then loaded it for 2 weeks and remeasured and they are nicely lined up ie parrallel after the two weeks...

NOTE this is IMOP and not very scientific.... well other than we know that mag springs don't wear out from being compressed...

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Autosurgeon,
That sounds highly reasonable and probable. You are not only observant but astute. 8)

·
Registered
665 Posts
For those leaving their mags loaded and concerned that the spring tension will ease up, consider this: do you place your car up on blocks when you are not driving it? Of course not. The spring (leaf, coil, etc.) are always tensioned. Constant tensioning does not cause them to weaken. Now, the constant compression and relaxing hitting bumps while driving, well now, that's where it does have an effect, but it is a long-term effect.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
For those leaving their mags loaded and concerned that the spring tension will ease up, consider this: do you place your car up on blocks when you are not driving it? Of course not. The spring (leaf, coil, etc.) are always tensioned. Constant tensioning does not cause them to weaken. Now, the constant compression and relaxing hitting bumps while driving, well now, that's where it does have an effect, but it is a long-term effect.
AMEN Brother!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts