Mag Spring Mods necessary?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by seedlings, Dec 28, 2015.

1. I came across this video yesterday:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJReDbkpNBI[/ame]

To save 20 minutes of your life, it's summarized in this image:
    [​IMG]

A) Original spring
    B) First bend, top of spring, to make the angle of the follower steeper
    C) Shown steeper angle of the follower
    D) Bottom of original spring
    E) Three bends to extend lower portion of spring
    F) Then he put one bend in the middle of every section of spring to make it longer, with more tension

Also, he un-bends the front feed lips. Yes, un-bends them. In the video he says this process fixes all the Hi-Point feed problems. Well, I haven't had any feed problems, but I don't shoot very often either. I was bored last night, so I did parts A, C, and un-bent the feed lips (but didn't extend the entire spring).

Afterwards, Tul-Ammo won't feed with slow, careful, manual racking of the slide. I honestly don't know if I've shot the steel Tul-Ammo before, so this may not be due to the modifications. Then I un-did the modifications. Tul-Ammo won't feed with manual racking of the slide. Maybe it's the Tul-Ammo. It seems to be getting hung up on the little dimple on the top of the follower.

Anyway, what do you think of this magazine mod? I did a quick search of the pistol section here and didn't initially find something like this.

CHAD

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Afaik not everybody gets the same 'good' results as this guy.
    He also considers himself to be somewhat of a self appointed expert and we've had.....a lot of those.

There have been some cases of the mag springs installed backwards.

Most of the problems with Tula ammo where with new guns that still needed breaking in.
    Reason being that brass is a lot smoother then the steel cases.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Necessary? Nah, not for most people.

Don't "fix" what ain't broken.

In your case, now it's borked up and you'll have to readjust the feed "lips" again. The mag bodies are kinda thin so they get bent more easily than some other brands. This has, in the past, led to misaligned feed "lips" ("ears," whatever). If yours aren't out of alignment, bending them will cause problems.

Don't "fix" what ain't broken. :)

I think people shouldn't worry about futzing around with their guns and mags unless they're seeing performance problems.

The good news is that even if your mag is not hopelessly beyond repair, replacements are pretty inexpensive. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. It all started innocently enough... I hadn't cleaned the C9 mags yet, and since that mag comes apart differently than most of the others, I went to YT to find a quick how-to-disassemble vid. And after a distracted click on this related video, and the rest is history.

CHAD

5. SWAGA

Not everything on the Internet is 'true' or 'good' ......lol ;)

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Please don't think I'm hammering on you, Chad. I'm really not. Done is done and, at worst, you're only out ~$15 or so and, even in the worst case, nothing done to the magazine is likely to make the firearm unsafe. So, if you're a tinkerer and are willing to invest ~$15 and and your time, then (in the words of Daffy Duck), have-at-thee! It's only a mag. :)

However, if you're just looking to ensure that the magazine and firearm are functioning reliably and optimally, well, then the best advice in that case is to leave it unmodified until such time as it proves itself to be unreliable.

In any case, to come back around to the original question again, no, I don't believe that it is "necessary." But, if you're a tinkerer and won't get upset if you irrevocably bork your mag, then go ahead. They're cheap enough. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    MOST (prolly 99%) of the new mags need to be fully loaded, and
    left to sit a week or two, that is the normal procedure.
    Like Swagzy and KLawson said, No FUTZA!

8. Certainly not, because you're smart enough to have been 'firing pin' on me instead of 'hammering', in order to make the pun. (I'm proficient in firearms modification as in comedy.) No offense taken!

I'm certain that the 'mods' have been reversed, compared to another mag. Next trip to the range, I'll find out if it's the steel, because I have a few other brass brands that have successfully cycled in previous C9 outings.

CHAD

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Just cuz they are moderators, don't mean they are stoopid... :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  10. SWAGA

I almost exclusively shoot the cheapest ammo in my .45 JHP so very often Tula.
    No issues here but I bought a used gun so already broken in.
    Also the .45 seems to have the least issues breaking in overall.
    Let us know if things work out for you.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

U wanna walk that back? I've never done that on any gun. Never had a need to. Where did that number come from?

I will say when using the Pearce+2, +3 extension on the G27 mags they told me to #1 shoot 200rds per mag, or #2. cycle them by hand without the gun while watching TV. I opted for #3. Uplula mag loader! :D

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's a pretty standard recommendation around here. How could you not have seen it before now?

I, personally, don't agree with the procedure (for reasons which are irrelevant to the discussion at hand), but, nevertheless, it is a common recommendation here on HPFF.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    No "walking back" needed!
    It's a common recommendation for Hi Points.
    I really meant "99% of those that have complaints" try the load & sit mags...

(guess I walked it back!) :rofl:

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

Yep, the 99% jagged me.

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    I guess you're not a mind reader ;)

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

I can predict when a woman is going to slap me.............

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Same as his financial predictions. Outta His Ass.