magazines loaded or empty

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by gramps42, May 21, 2014.

1. gramps42

gramps42 Member

I own a 4095TS and was wondering if it's okay to leave the magazines loaded while in my safe? Is it harmful to the springs to keep them loaded. This applies to a couple of my handguns to. One is .22 pistol and the other a 9MM pistol. Thank you.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

its GOOD for them to leave them loaded. helps break the springs in and makes them function better. keeping a spring compressed, is no worse than leaving a spring uncompressed. its the cycling that wears them out. leave em loaded.

3. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

I used to leave mine only partially loaded...(A compromise from the debate about leaving them fully loaded or completely empty) but now I load them up all the way.....because if you need the gun in a pinch.... ya don't want to run out of bullets! :)

4. gramps42

gramps42 Member

Thank you for the quick feedback. I'll load them up.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I keep them loaded until I empty them at the range or farm then they get loaded again. A unloaded magazine is like a unloaded gun not much good except as a paperweight.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I keep all my mags loaded.....and two pistols, one revolver and my shotgun.

7. Arclight

Arclight Member

I wondered about this topic many times. I personally have two live rounds of ammunition in each of my JHP clips. I had always thought { or seemed to have made up the idea } that compressing a spring to maximum compression would weaken the spring over a period of time. A huge selling point for me having a revolver with larger ammunition cartridges.

I'm going to add a few more, giving thought to the answers on this topic.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

using your logic than, having only two rounds in the MAGAZINE would still be compressing the spring and still weakening it over time. so if you're already going to be weakening the spring, why not have it fully loaded in case you need to use it?

for the record, a spring only wears when its being cylced. fully compressed or fully decompressed its ''at rest''.

9. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I haven't been leaving any of my mags loaded except for a aftermarket cheap glock mag that I got off of sportsmans guide. The spring seemed really stiff and I thought if I loaded it up and left it for awhile it would break it in a bit. After reading this thread I guess that theory is not necessarily true.

10. I shot in competition and have had this answered 100 times since I was 13....the only thing that wears out a magazine spring is the movement of the spring up and down. Leaving the mag loaded will NOT hurt a thing. I have ALL my mags fully loaded for all of my guns at all times. There have been many times I've shot guns I left loaded for 3-4 years because I forgot I even had them. No issues ever with leaving any mag loaded. :)

11. Springs 101. All springs take an initial "set" or shorten slightly when compressed for the first few times. After this set is in place, keeping them compressed will not decrease their length by an appreciable degree over time. A designer will thus spec a spring that works with it's final length after this initial set has taken place. Which is why it is recommended ya load your new HP mags and leave them that way for a few days.

Cycling a spring is what wears it out, or over-compressing them. The danger of overcompressing them is why some folks recommend downloading a long term storage mag by 2 rounds, "just in case". The Glock 9mm models appear to have an overcompression problem, the author doing the almost million round torture test of his G17 first gen model was replacing mag springs every several thousand rounds. Once he started downloading by 2 rds, he has used the same springs for all subsequent rounds without issues.

The M16/AR military issue AL mags are a "special case". Due to their AL construction, the pressure of a full load in the 30rd mags can make the lips spread apart after a time. The 20s need to be downloaded to 18rds so they are less likely to jam. The newer followers were supposed to eliminate the jamming, but YMMV.

12. Tchort

Tchort Member

I leave all my pistol mags full, shot gun full, 22 rifle mags full and all my AR mags full.

Now I heard people say to only load 20 to 28 rds in my AR mags but still leave them with 30 at all times. Has anyone ever had a real issue or this just an old wife's tale? In the past 2 yrs I haven't had any issue.

13. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

See springs 101 above from SlimShady. Makes sense to me.

14. On the AR mags, some posts over on ARFCOM have had pics of mags with spread lips, so it is apparently not a myth. That said, there have been many AR mag makers over the years. As I understand it, Colt made up 2 sets of tooling to make the mags and the .GOV has ownership of them. The mag contracts for the .MIL are "small business set asides" awarded to small business usually owned by a minority so they can check off several boxes on their political correctness forms. Anyway, they get the contract, the tooling is installed, and they crank out mags. After a few years they are making so much money on this gravy train they are no longer a small business, the contract is cancelled, and the tooling moves on to the next company, repeat as needed. And of course you have the commercial makers who never had a .GOV contract and have their own tooling and specs.

Mix this all together and some fail, is it a problem with the mag design itself, different material suppliers, hardness specs being wrong/too wide, or? There is also the follower problem causing jams on a full load with the earlier types. With the AR mags, I would say leaving them loaded for years with a full load is a gamble. I leave mine loaded, and all original GI surplus ones I have are equipped with brand new springs and followers. The surplus ones DO have weak springs sometimes, because they were loaded and unloaded how many hundreds/thousands of times since the Vietnam War?