Magnaflux machines rule!

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by downrangedan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. downrangedan

downrangedan Guest

The machine shop I work in pulled out there Magnaflux machine to check some metal parts we make for cracks. After learning how Magnaflux works I was amazed! Just by using certain chemicals, electricity and magnets you can see very fine cracks under a high powered black light. If any cracks are present they look like neon green/yellow marks. I'll get to the point now, one of the CNC operators bought a used gun and when fired the gun did not seem to have the power that a .38 special should have. As a quality control tech I got the idea to take down the revolver as much as possible and use the Magnaflux to check for cracks. To my surprise the gun was loaded with super fine cracks that you could not see with the naked eye. The cylinder on the barrel side was where more cracks could be found. Maybe not safe to fire this gun anymore, its a shame cause its was a cool looking .38 with a blued barrel. If anybody has the idea that there gun might have any cracking going on you should call around to local machine shops to see if they have a Magnaflux machine on sight and how much they would charge to check for cracks. Catching cracks before the become a problem is an important thing when your shooting guns. This is just something new I learned and wanted to share with everyone so we all can continue to be safe shooters.

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I don't see how that can affect the power of a 38??

3. downrangedan

downrangedan Guest

stress cracks and fatigue on any metal will make it weak and any tight tolerances needed to keep a gun in proper working order will go right out the window.

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    But it is a revolver! Not the same as a closed breech.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'd be looking at the ammo first.

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Stick to your QC job, as a gunsmith you'll end up unemployed. :)

Since you never knew what magnaflux was until they rolled it out, your interpretation of what you think you saw is subject to question. The "cracks" are, in my experience and opinion, normal surface scratches one would expect to find on any revolver that has been used. Unless you x-rayed to determine depth, you have nothing to base a declaration of it being unsafe on. Did you mic the cylinders? Did you mic and verify the condition of the forcing cone? What condition are the lands and grooves? How is the lockup? Besides the magnaflux what other testing did you perform?

Not trying to beat up on you, but you'll find that there are many very knowledgeable and experienced members on here that have years of experience in gunsmithing. We are quick to call out erroneous or misleading information, by both new comers and established members. We are also quick to lend a hand to those seeking advice or assistance with an issue.

7. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I'm pretty sure MagnaFlux can be used to measure correct bore brush size....

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

This /\

I work in an industry that uses a magnaflux machine daily for inspections. Odds are, what your obviously untrained eye is seeing, is not what your seeing at all.
    Dont think your a pro after using it once, youre not.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My first thought was scratches as well.

My dad was one of the first guys in his job to be trained on nuclear densometers.
    He had a lot of fun with it, because you can do the test wrong, and get some odd results, and no one but him knew what the right way was.:p

He could put the fear of God into a contractor with that thing...if he'd have been a crook, we'd have gotten rich.;)

But he wasn't, and we didn't.:p