·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Does it come up primer end first?

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
No. The primer and the bullet end arent magnetic, Its the case that is,
OK, that's weird. I ran into some foreign stuff years back that had something in the primers that made them magnetic, but never the body. See what greg or Ajole (or moonz) come up with.This is new to me - but I kinda like it. Make my brass easier to find after a session.

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Probably brass-plated steel cased, like Golden Bear ammo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Probably brass-plated steel cased, like Golden Bear ammo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Shoulda thought of that. Thanks, Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,163 Posts
They are from a small city in rural Utah, and they “say” it’s brass.

I’d take a round apart and tear it up to see what’s up. Or try a magnet on a fired case, and then tear it up, as in cut or file on it to see if you get into anything that isn’t brass, or lead.
Nothing I can find says what the jackets are made of, maybe look at that too?

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,596 Posts
Heritage 9MM brass ammo is magnetic. Not as strong an attraction as steel ammo but I can pick it up gently with a magnet. No other brass ammo I have is magnetic. Any ideas why ??
View attachment 74044
I think iron can also be alloyed with the copper group metals, which also include bronze and brass.

But I'm thinking it's what Kirk said, brass plated steel. Handy for pickups, y'all ought to try reloading a case or three...

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Not familiar with Heritage Ammunition. But something isn’t brass. Section a case like @ajole mentioned. Otherwise I will go with plated.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I think iron can also be alloyed with the copper group metals, which also include bronze and brass.

But I'm thinking it's what Kirk said, brass plated steel. Handy for pickups, y'all ought to try reloading a case or three...
I recommend tossing any steel cases. It’s easy enough to get proper brass casings.

Reactions: fatal-bert33

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
I recommend tossing any steel cases. It’s easy enough to get proper brass casings.
I keep reading that you can reload steel cases if you're willing to accept significantly less case life and potentially more wear on your dies.

I've never had the need to find out.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I keep reading that you can reload steel cases if you're willing to accept significantly less case life and potentially more wear on your dies.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I have successfully loaded boxer primed steel cases, used to keep a stash in my JIC box. But discarded them. I have more 45 acp brass than I will probably ever use. I just didn’t see going against conventional wisdom.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,072 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You and I have. Mostly for the Mosin just to see. I wouldn't have a issue reloading it 1x but after that nope. I'm not doing min loads either. And its was to test for a emergency issue case only

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
You and I have. Mostly for the Mosin just to see. I wouldn't have a issue reloading it 1x but after that nope. I'm not doing min loads either. And its was to test for a emergency issue case only
I did a handful of 9mm just to see if it was possible. It is. But, like your Mosin, I'm not doing it as a regular thing nor would I trust it more than once. I now know that I can use both steel and/or aluminium cases if it drops in the pot. As a regular thing....I'll pass.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I did a handful of 9mm just to see if it was possible. It is. But, like your Mosin, I'm not doing it as a regular thing nor would I trust it more than once. I now know that I can use both steel and/or aluminium cases if it drops in the pot. As a regular thing....I'll pass.
Aluminum? Tell me about it?

I don’t have the guts to try that. Any aluminum stuff I find gets mashed shut.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Aluminum? Tell me about it?

I don’t have the guts to try that. Any aluminum stuff I find gets mashed shut.
I had several boxes of Remington (?) .45 ACP that were aluminum AND used American small pistol primers. I had read all the articles, but thought "they look easy enough to reload." (I ain't real smart sometimes). Anyway, no trade secret. Ran them through the sizer, loaded a moderate load of Unique with a 200 gr. cast RN and CCI 400 primers. Worked like a charm in the JHP. The first time I tried loading a handfull a second time. They fired fine, but I got split cases. Not every one, but enough to convince me that even low pressure rounds would fatigue the aluminum very quickly. So would I do it again? If that all I had, yes. BUT, no max loads and the 9mm I've tried works, but, again, MODERATE loads and once is enough. I'm crazy, not totally stupid.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,072 Posts
I avoid aluminum like the plague. Several of my guns don't function on then. Si I will not use it. Work used to give use 1000 rds of it free quarterly. I never took it. Gave it away or took the old SD rds that got rotated.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I avoid aluminum like the plague. Several of my guns don't function on then. Si I will not use it. Work used to give use 1000 rds of it free quarterly. I never took it. Gave it away or took the old SD rds that got rotated.
Out of curiosity, which guns? I only ran it through HPs, and we know they'll eat anything

1 - 20 of 33 Posts