makarov or pa-63???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by izzymomak1938, May 13, 2014.

1. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

So I'm trading some milsurp gear i got for free for a hungarian feg pa-63. What's the catch? My wife said i have to get rid of one other gun. Should i sell my makarov or sell the pa-63? If given the choice which one would you keep? Whatever i get out of this is 100% profit. i can't decide though. The mak is a baikal ij-70 by big bear arms and I'm not surr e about the pa-63. Idk what to do! also getting 116 rds of jhp 9x18.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. ekim

ekim Member

For me, I'm keeping my pa-63, it's my every day CC. Which one will get you the most money by selling it? Both should be about the same as far as quality I think, but I don't know about the mak Baikal.

3. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

I like the fixed sight on the pa-63 but i like the grip of the mak and mag cap. i also like the mag release on the pa-63. This is a really tough desision. Lol maybe ill get a gun smith to integrate parts from both guns and make the perfect pistol

4. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

There both about equal value and equal durability and reliability. in my experience. i really can't decide...

5. AS6

AS6 Legible in My Own Mind Member

I'm sorry but I cannot imagine a circumstance in which my bride would tell me I had to get rid of a gun, let alone "another gun". Maybe not buy another just yet but to get rid of a gun is just inconceivable. That just would not happen in my home anymore than me telling her that she had to get rid of a pair of shoes, a dress or a grandchild. :p

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The mak shoots more comfortably and is more durable in the long run but the pa63 is a more comfortable carry gun. Parts are easier to get for the mak.

More later.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The guns. They aren't making them anymore, but there's plenty of women out there, and more all the time.:cool:

Seriously. Grow a pair and explain it to her. They are an investment, some day in the future they will be worth more, and some day, she may be glad you kept that inanimate little piece of metal and plastic laying around in a safe. It eats nothing, costs nothing unless you go shoot it, and if she loves you, she can tolerate it.

8. I paid $59 for my PA-63 a little over ten years ago. I understand they are selling for around $200 now. Seldom do gun values go down if you are willing to wait.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Usually more.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What Kirk said. If I saw a PA-63 for $200, I'd snap it up.

The first time I saw one, they were $110, but since I had paid less for my EG Mak, and didn't like the sharp edges or crappy trigger on the P-63, I didn't buy one.:(

I also passed on a brushed nickle .380 IJ-70 Mak...for $280.:(

Live and learn.:rolleyes:

11. izzymomak1938

izzymomak1938 Member

I agreed to it because we never get to do things together and i am selling one to have extra cash so i can take my wife out. and i really don't "need" two pistols of the same caliber. damn near same specs too. plus i got a duffle full of milsurp gear sitting in my closet. i have already told her that guns are part of me and its not going away. and without guns I'm unhappy. she gets it. the reason i agreed is because there almost identical in every way. except cosmeticly or the answer would have been hell no.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, umm... For some subset of "in every way" I guess.

They're both pistols, of roughly the same general size, and are chambered in the same caliber, and a case can be made that they both are in the PPK family lineage, but that's about it.

• PA-63 is lighter
    • easier to CC
    • has a conventional U.S. magazine release
    • has a unique (for the time) and quite interesting aluminum frame which gives it a striking two-tone look

But on the demerit side, the PA-63
    • has a heavier stock trigger
    • one fewer rounds in the mag
    • can be harder to find parts for
    • the aluminum frame is known for cracking if you run very hot or heavy rounds through it
    • has a conventional European "push up to fire" safety

The Makarov "PM"
    • is more comfortable to shoot
    • more durable, all steel frame
    • simpler design with fewer parts
    • easier to find parts for
    • has one more round of ammunition in the mag
    • has a conventional U.S. "push down to fire" safety

On the down side, the Mak
    • is heavier to CC
    • has the reviled European style thumb-heal magazine release which makes reloads SLOOOOOW
    • is much more common and therefore (to some) less interesting as a collector piece
    • has a lot more nations which made them (so a collector has to have a Russian, an E. German, a Bulgie, and, if they can find it at all, a Chinese)

So, while the guns have a lot of similarities and shared heritage, it's not like comparing the Kel Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP, it's more like comparing the Kel Tec P11 and the M&P9c.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. I know I would never sell my PA. The round is a better round than the 380, it conceals well, if one conceals. When I hear of people paying almost 500 for a Glock 42 I laugh, especially since my PA runs so well, cost so little, is about the same size. Though heavier than the poly pocket pistols, not enough to notice.

Two things I did to mine, put a wolff spring kit in, and ground the grooves off of the trigger and then polished the trigger. Getting rid of those grooves made a world of difference. The trigger in both DA and SA is about perfect now.

I wish more guns were made in the 9X18, it really is a great cartridge for pocket carry. Even though I would never put a gun in my pocket.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've been trying to convince Kel Tec to make the P3AT in 9x18 Makarov and the PF9 in .380ACP but they aren't having any of it.

When I say the the same thing over on TheKTOG, they tell me to STFU, that KT isn't allowed to design any new guns until the come out with the RMR30 and catch up with all their backlog so everyone can have a [fill in KT product], and that if I don't shut up then the KTOGers are gonna beat me up. (well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit)

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I bet you aren't.;)

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, so you're right that some of them are pretty frustrated at KT's perceived lack of production capacity. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Uhh, what?
    You can feed 2 guns with one case of ammo....

I feel it's important to have at least 2 guns in each caliber you own, that way you aren't stuck with useless ammo if something happens to one gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Now THAT is a valid argument.
    While you're at it tell her you need two women too, same reason.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I tried that once. My wife told me, "you can't afford me, how are you going to afford two?" ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk