Man Dies Trying To Reholster

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by tallbump, Aug 24, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Full title of the article

Man Dies Trying To Reholster — Is It Appendix Carry Or Negligence?

http://www.usacarry.com/man-dies-trying-reholster-appendix-carry/

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN — Last week, a man died trying to reholster his pistol. According to FOX6, Timothy Phonisay was posing for pictures with his pistol when he reholstered his pistol and it discharged into his thigh. Based upon the medical reports, the holster was placed into the appendix carry postion (2 o’clock) – a popular position for a concealed carry holster.

This highlights some of the inherent dangers with the appendix carry style. Especially for striker-fire or light trigger firearms, any pressure applied due to an incorrect or poorly angled insertion can result in a negligent discharge. To be clear – this isn’t at all common. Is it possible? Yes.

Every single day, thousands of concealed carriers put their pistols and revolvers into appendix carry holsters and it’s a rare day when one of them discharges. There are a number of factors not known in this case – namely whether his finger was anywhere near the trigger, the type of holster he was using, etc.

If and when that information is made available, we’ll be able to see if this is a danger posed by the configuration, by the equipment, by the operator — or the perfect storm of all three.

In my opinion, the safest position to orient your inside the waistband concealed carry holster is likely to be at the 3 o’clock position. This is directly on your right hip. For most carriers, this means the weapon’s barrel is always facing away or at the very least down to the ground.

The next biggest threat is reholstering itself. While a high-retention holster is great for securing a firearm, it can sometimes pose an issue with reholstering if it’s too tight and constricts on the trigger group. That’s why it’s always important to test out retention and reholstering with an unloaded pistol first. If the trigger is ever at risk during that testing phase, loosen up the gaskets or do whatever you need to do to not jeopardize that trigger.

Lastly, practice drawing and reholstering with an unloaded pistol. This will give you an idea of how much give is both in the firearm itself and the holster. If you are not confident you can reholster a loaded firearm into your IWB holster – change holsters. You want a holster that has good retention and protects the trigger group.

For Phonisay, unfortunately, suffering a close range gunshot wound to the inner thigh is a true recipe for disaster. The inner thigh contains a vital artery called the femoral artery. If punctured or knicked, the person will bleed out incredibly fast. This is the biggest strike against appendix carry despite it being a very convenient place to store a pistol. However, everything has risks and if you feel that you’re properly situated to handle it — that’s your call as a responsible concealed carrier.

2. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I see stupid people :rolleyes:

3. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

Thinning the herd. Let's remove warning labels and reduce the number of idiots in the world.

4. Branth

Branth Member

Stupid people? Darwin awards?

If you don't think it could happen to you, you need a reality check. A lot of very competent shooters have had accidental discharges. It's very hard to holster a firearm without muzzling yourself. At the very least, you come perilously close simply because you have to get the gun to within an inch or two of your body, or much less if you have a decent carry holster. Hell, even holstered, my 9mm would probably take an eighth inch of skin off my ass if it were to go off, let alone if it was halfway in the holster when it fired.

Yes, in 99.9999% of holstering occurrences, you may be fine, but how about the 1,000,000th time you holster a firearm, when something distracts you at just the right moment, after a long day, and you're tired, and you're worrying about your sick kid, and your hands are sore, and your back hurts, etc. etc. etc. It only takes a moment of inattention at the wrong moment to end up accidentally shooting yourself.

It's like a car accident - Even good drivers have them, and sometimes it's even their fault.

5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Interesting, I thought this would lead to a discussion about appendix carry.

I have never done that. Never thought it would be comfortable, not with a C9

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I took interest in this because I appendix carry and have done so for 3 years.
    Initial thoughts are its not the position but the gun.
    I carry a striker fired .380, round chambered safety on and I will check the safety is on before I holster it.
    Most of the time I'll holster it before I put it down my pants.
    Draw practice I do with an empty gun.

My other (potential) carry guns are hammer semi auto and I've decided to carry those in condition two.
    Safety off, hammer down on a life round with a 'dead' trigger.
    No chance of a reholster accident.

Gun from the story, was it a Glock?

7. GulfCoastGuy

GulfCoastGuy Member

Makes me feel much better about my 457. It comforting to know there is a solid chunk of steel between the hammer and the firing pin when the safety is on and it's decocked. I'll pay more attention to that step in my dry fire drills. Muscle Memory saves lives could be my new motto.

8. GulfCoastGuy

GulfCoastGuy Member

Makes you wonder about the efficacy of a cross arm carry with a reversed cant. Hmm.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This isn't some faceless automaton, this is a tragedy.

[​IMG]

He was somebody's son.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Current reporting is that it was a "Springfield .45 -caliber handgun." Don't know (yet?) which one. XD, XD(m), or something probably is the current speculation but it could possibly have been a 1911. But, apparently, not a Glock.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

I agree that it is tragic, especially for the young man's family. And I didn't mean to sound insensitive. I do believe that there are far too many people that lack the experience necessary to carry certain firearms.

12. Branth

Branth Member

On the other hand, everyone is someone's son or daughter. I don't feel sorry for people who get what they deserve i.e. armed criminals getting shot, but this guy did nothing (morally) wrong or intensely stupid. He just made an understandable mistake with tragic consequences.

13. Rerun

Rerun Member

True this.

But, imo, still a Darwin Award nominee.

eldar

14. Guns are not toys, they are to be treated with the utmost respect. Their power should be feared, and there are no second chances many times. It is without a doubt this young man screwed up, clearly he did not use proper cautions. Candy coating it is a disservice to those who might make the same mistakes.

These things don't just happen, shrugging them off, and defending the stupidity increases chances they will happen again.

But since we are going to defend this kid, why was he posing. Was it for a photo shot, or in front of a mirror? It is not so much he shot himself, he was posing with a loaded gun! That indeed makes him a candidate for the Darwin Award. Even though I feel sorry for his family.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Calling him a "Darwin award winner" is not the opposite of candy coating. It's being a wang.

Straw Man argument. No one has said anything about "shrugging [it] off" (besides you, that is). Yes, we should learn from it. Yes, it should be taken as a cautionary tale. No, we should not mock him.

Who's "defending" him? Telling someone that they're being a dick for mocking the kid is not synonymous with defending his mistake.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    If he wasn't using a molded Kydex holster, it is possible that it collapsed when he tried to reholster, thereby resulting in the trigger being engaged by either holster or clothing material. It is something that can happen to anyone under the right (wrong) circumstances. I would not mock someone who had something happen to him that could happen to anyone else.

Karma is a real force, and mockery of someone's bad fate can result in a similar thing happening to the one doing the mocking.

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Everyone is someones something and everyone can be made fun of for any reason. Nobody is exempt. When you have a problem with a certain situation being poked at, well that's your problem. You need to deal with it properly. Making it everyone else's problem by dictating what they can laugh at isn't proper.

18. GulfCoastGuy

GulfCoastGuy Member

As one who has suffered the loss of not one but two close family members to gunfire of some sort I can say with authority that the less than tactful way of saying it wouldn't do the family any favors.

19. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I think calling this young man stupid or a Darwin Award, "without even knowing all the facts", is asinine. This was a tragic occurance and a young man lost his life, a family lost a son, or husband, or brother.