Man in New Jersey now a felon for gun in glove box

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by bluharley, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

And if he's so concerned about his daughter and the gun, he should never have left it loaded in the glove box where she had easy access? I don't feel sorry for him, he's irresponsible.

3. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    As far as I am concerned this is the crux of the problem.
    In the article posted on Yahoo news, he said his permit was supposed to come the next day. So he knew he did not have a permit to carry. Can't feel sorry for him.

4. Branth

Branth Member

I heard an interview this guy did on a podcast. Sounds like he was on his way to work as an armed guard, and actually bought the gun through them as part of his job.

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

Then he should know the law, and like them or not, obey them, especially if it's your job.

6. I feel for him. How many people on the net say.
    If you don't feel safe. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Yes he broke the law but we need common sense attorneys who will drop charges in the case of an honest mistake. Nobody is perfect!

8. I can almost agree with you Mary. Almost.

Forgeting to put down the toilet seat at 03:00 is an honest mistake. having a loaded firearm in your glove box (I am not even sure it is legal in NJ even with a CPL) without a CC license is pure stupidity on his part. it is the job of every firearms owner to not only know, but also follow all the guns laws whether they are Federal, state, or local.

He effed up, and he doesn't want to man up. No pity for him here.

9. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

So common sense says give the man 1000 hours community service. Make him get certified to teach safety courses in firearms, and then train the crap out of people at no cost, that sort of thing.

If the anti gunners were actually about "gun safety" and "gun sense" then they would be touting gun safety courses, which they are not. Somebody like Coilon Noir needs to start talking about this. I think I'll be contacting the NRA on my next day off about this. I've already e-mailed my governor.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think that they were talking about his vehicle registration; not a pistol registration. There was apparently no expired weapons-related paperwork involved.

Nevertheless, what really bothers me about these cases and other non-violent offenses involving ignorance or inattention is that they end up turning otherwise productive citizens with future potential into felons whose lives are effectively ruined. This brings to mind two major issues with both our criminal justice system and our gun laws.

First, it seems that the bar for being designated as a felon keeps being lowered, and when people get felony raps, they lose their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, for life. They also can't vote, and they will be unlikely to ever get hired by anyone. If people who do their time and/or pay fines have paid their debts to society, then there should be no handicaps that they should suffer once they've finished their sentences.

Secondly, It seems that the felony charges associated with landmine-style gun laws are designed to create felons, thereby making more and more people ineligible for gun ownership. If more people become ineligible because more are felons, then that supports The Left's authoritarian agenda.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So he 'forgot' about his gun just as he 'forgot' about his registration and he 'forgot' that his permit has not been approved yet.

He's gotten a year probation.

12. If i keep my CCW locked in my glove box while at work, get home and forget to put it back in my house.
    Yes its forgotten in there. locked where its secure.

But then my wife says "agh i have to go to the store" jumps in my car and gets pulled over should that make her a felon!?

the law is the law i get that.
    But it would take what is a safe non issue gun in the glove box. and turn into a family being ripped apart and my wife going to jail.

come on. the penalty is supposed to fit the crime.

13. Back2School

Back2School Member

Why did he not have the same 3 year minimum Shaneen Allen did? Have the laws changed since her arrest? This seems very similar.

If NJ really thinks this level of gun storage is worth a felony, I guess I am guilty as well. I keep guns locked in a NV200 under the seat of both my Jeep (C9) and my Ranger (JHP) and am looking for a way to lock up (and hide) my 4595 in the Ranger with the JHP.

All I can say is "F" NJ, NY, MD and the whole Northeast because of things like this. I and my family are from several of those states, but there is nothing that would ever make me live back there again. I love the weather, terrain, woods, rivers and oceans of that area but damn I would never live under those governments again.

14. ekim

ekim Member

Sounds like the forgetful citizen should think about moving to America and follow the laws where he lives and get out of nobama land where citizens have no rights but to pay the man. Can't feel sorry for stupid(forgetful) people, especially with loaded guns they leave where others may get them.

Are the laws in that state f'd up, yes, but they are the laws he must agree to as he still lives there and pays taxes to support what they do to citizens(subjects).

15. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The article on Yahoo news, specifically stated that his "ccw permit was due to arrive the next day", but he took his firearm with him anyway. There is nothing in the Yahoo news article about an expired anything.

16. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I there a "liberal" season? :rolleyes:

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Yet ANOTHER reason for not living in New Jersey (New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, California, Washington, Colorado).

eldar

18. I don't know what the guy was thinking. There are better places to keep a gun in a car than in the glove compartment.

If nothing else, he should have put it under the seat. Or put it in a 'trash bag' as. Both can be handier places to get at for the driver.

While he was fully within his rights to do as he was doing, one still has to deal with the usurpations that have taken place in the country. Kind of like even when one is driving and has the legal right of way, it is better to avoid hitting someone.

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The guys an idiot. On the plus side it's a misdemeanor here with a $50 fine.

20. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It was the Fox article that clarified It. He had an expired registration for which he also got a ticket.