Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AllTerra Arms’ Mountain Shadow Steel: The Lamborghini of Rifles?
by Riley Baxter on September 6, 2021

AllTerra Arms is a semi-custom rifle manufacturer in my home state of Idaho that used to be known as “Axial Precision.” These guys produce some top-tier hunting rifles with 1/2 and even 1/4 Minute of Angle guarantees, and I finally got my hands on one. The Mountain Shadow Steel is one of their steel barreled options, and it happens to be the model that I’m testing. You may look at this gun and think, “Oh, another Remington 700 clone… how unfascinating.” But you would be wrong! AllTerra has applied their own twist to accurize their rifle system in unique and interesting ways. Weight will vary with the options available to you, but this Mountain Shadow Steel rifle comes in at 6.3 pounds without optic. This low weight is made possible with a light profile barrel, fluting on the bolt and barrel, and a carbon fiber stock, mainly.

Trigger warning: The following review is on a premium, and consequently, expensive hunting rifle. Please refrain from commenting about how the average man can’t afford this, Ken/Karen. Also, we don’t need to hear about what your $300 rifle is capable of, even though I’m sure it’s great.

As mentioned, AllTerra’s Rifles are not as simple as one might think. The Convergence Action that they use features some subtle, but impactful details. To begin, the interface between the action and the bolt is unique in that the lugs themselves are conical. As the bolt is locked, the lugs are pulled forward against the action and into alignment with the bore. The second unique interface between the bolt and action occurs toward the shooter, on the back end of the bolt. Here, there is a raised ring around the bolt which slides freely through the action until the bolt is cammed shut. At this point, the whole bolt is pulled forward a tiny amount, locking this ring against a corresponding surface in the action. This act of locking at the front and back of the bolt ensures proper “bolt-to-bore alignment,” and also decrease any accuracy robbing harmonics that the bolt could impart as the gun is fired.

Read more at: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...ntain-shadow-steel-the-lamborghini-of-rifles/

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That rifle is not worth the cost in my opinion. You can get really accurate long range rifles for under $2,000.

Also, his choice on the 6.5 millimeter Precision Rifle Cartridge was not good in my opinion. I would have went with a more common long range caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
So what exactly are you looking for? Other people to join you in shitting on his decision to buy that rifle chambered in that cartridge?

Aren't you one of the "my rifle, my choice" crowd? Who cares what he buys with his money? What was it PT Barnum was credited with saying about suckers?

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
If he had the money and the desire to have that rifle, then it's worth what he paid TO HIM. That's all that really matters. An object - rifle, car, house, land.... - is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I agree with Histed. A thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Value is subjective. I know I have overpaid for some guns, but I liked them and the opportunity presented itself so I made the purchase.
Personally I couldn't justify spending several thousand dollars on a firearm. For one thing my wife wouldn't allow it. Haha

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
'S what I mean, Deafie. IF I had the dosh AND Mama wouldn't do nasty things to me, some of those Brownings could find their way to my safe. The others - not even at 1/10 the price cuz they just don't start my motor. Howsomeever, if'n someone snags them, I hope they enjoy them.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the difference between that Knight Armament M-110 listed and this Knight SR-25 rifle? The listed price on this one is $5,600.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
What is the difference between that Knight Armament M-110 listed and this Knight SR-25 rifle? The listed price on this one is $5,600.[/URL]
One is an M110 and the other is an SR25. The M110 also includes the suppressor, case, and full deployment kit....

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
What is the difference between that Knight Armament M-110 listed and this Knight SR-25 rifle? The listed price on this one is $5,600.

In addition to what Rach said.. the SR25 is a civilian market model, the M110 is the military model with some superficial furniture differences and a suppressor, put together to meet Military minimum specifications; even though now it is available for civilian purchase plus the NFA tax for the suppressor.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
If the buyer is happy with the price then both seller and buyer are happy.

Nothing else matters.

eldar

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
In addition to what Rach said.. the SR25 is a civilian market model, the M110 is the military model with some superficial furniture differences and a suppressor, put together to meet Military minimum specifications; even though now it is available for civilian purchase plus the NFA tax for the suppressor.
Yes and no. The original SR25 was the military predecessor to the M110 SASSR platform. I carried one in the Corps. HOWEVER, the more modern version he linked to is indeed a civilian market model. My SR25 had a fixed A2 stock, 24" 1:11 match HBAR, and suppressor. The newer variants are a 20" light weight match and 16" carbine with 6-pos adjustable stocks.

My slight humble brag is the M110 is more what I consider an SR25 than what the new ones are. That's why I built my own SR variant on the LR platform with a stainless 24" ultra-match HBAR and a longer hand guard, minus the quad rail set up, to cover an Odin Works adjustable gas block.

Edit: The M110 also has the dial-a-pull stock to adjust for body armor, or lack there of. Basically a "fixed" stock with an adjustable butt plate.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
I bought an 1873 Springfield in very good to exelent condition. A few gouges in the wood but other than that it would of been perfect. Didn’t pay $5000, but it was the most expensive rifle I have ever bought.

Had to convince SWMBO to let me purchase it as the funds had to come out of the household funds, ( I have told the story here several times, so I will not post it again, but it was funny and showed the practical thinking of the female mind) but in the end she let me purchase it. Had it appraised on the way home and was offered $400 more than I paid for it earlier. I eventually traded it for that same $400 profit, plus a H&R Calvary Carbine repreduction.

Of course there is the personal aspect too. If a person is happy, it is worth it. Reminds me of my late father who said "every material thing I own is for sale. You might not like the price, but it’s for sale."

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,998 Posts
I like the unobtanium priced firearms, many of them have awesome features that will someday (maybe even soon!) Trickle down to guns we can afford. I'm not afraid to spend mucho grande Dinero on the right gun, but like Dawg said, it better "tickle my fancy" just right. I guess the highest I have ever spent was on a Colt PYTHONS or the [email protected]$$ space-gun Kriss Vector (10mm)

If one is into the long range shooting then these prices listed above are actually acceptable, unless you just want to custom build your own R700 and spend a lot of time doing it. You might spend MORE on a DIY project, if you do something wrong or do it twice or 3 times due to parts matching errors. My son and I built the head and shoulders fastest pinewood derby racer when he was in cub scouts, but we also had around 3-4 kits worth of parts extra and maybe 2 extra bodies. But there again, it's the journey and not the destination that counts!
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts