Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a Volunteer Range Safety Officer today at the NRA sponsored "Women on Target" even at our local shooting range, and man was I wiped the hell out!

If you guys haven't heard of "Women on Target", you should check it out either for your wives, girlfriends or family members. It's a great way for women to become familiar with firearms and handguns in particular.

http://www.nrahq.org/women/wot.asp

My wife was the youngest person in attendance and took the class, but the oldest lady there was well into her 70's. That ole gal could shoot! They started off with .22LRs and moved up to higher caliber firearms after we had lunch. As a pistol instructor, it was an awesome experience for me as I had about 15 students and they were a great learning tool for me, as well as them. Captive audience so to speak. If I can get pictures up in the next few days I'll do it. It was a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Seems as though your wife had an unfair advantage.
I don't know how I'd feel being around that many people who I'm assuming have never shot a gun. I bet you drill gun safety to those women all day dont ya.
Sounds pretty fun though.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the ladies I was working with had never held a firearm in her entire life, and she was almost 50 years old. As I was instructing her, her groups went from 6 inches to about 3 inches and her point of aim/point of impact really improved. I think she was still shooting a couple of inches low and right, but it was all on paper at that point and that's what matters. I think range was somewhere between 5 and 7 yards.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
they were a great learning tool for me,
Ha.. you called those women tools.... sorry.. couldn't resist. My wife is taking the CCW class with me.. and she has never fired a gun.. it will be interesting.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, relatively speaking, I am a new instructor and I don't have that much experience. Getting that experience was cool for me.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've done similar things at my "range" with my girlfriends through out the past, as well as any girl in town who wanted to go shoot. Only a few have stepped up and shot the .50AE, and they enjoyed it. My ex really loved my Buckmark...only after I put the mini-dot thing on it though. The girl I'm considering to call mine now enjoys the PT92. My stepsister is scared to shoot, and my mum don't like to go outside where the bugs are.

I enjoy taking people to shoot sometimes though, especially girls. They always seem to have the most fun. Where as guys get pissed and angry when they miss and make a big deal out of it. Girls will listen to you as you explain how the guns works, how to aim, how to load...guys just take the gun and act like they should know what they're doing because they are guys.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I think it's a great idea to teach women how to shoot and handle firearms safely. Anyone with a wife, girlfriend, mother or daughter should thank you for taking the time to do that.

My g/f took the NRA pistol safety course and it really helped her to feel more safe and confident in herself.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I enjoy taking people to shoot sometimes though, especially girls. They always seem to have the most fun. Where as guys get pissed and angry when they miss and make a big deal out of it. Girls will listen to you as you explain how the guns works, how to aim, how to load...guys just take the gun and act like they should know what they're doing because they are guys.
How true. Most of my male friends who don't know crap about guns think that because they play CoD4 they can shoot like pros. The only thing about girls is that they always seem to want to lean back instead of towards the gun.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was constantly reminding the ladies to lean forward at the waist.

The one lady was driving me nuts though. Every time someone down the line would shoot, she would flinch as if someone slapped her, and she almost dropped the gun a couple of times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.