Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do like the 30-30. And I do like the Marlin 336 XLR.

I have always felt that H&R missed the boat by not offering the 30-30 Handi Rifle with av26" barrel. Maybe something in the Buffalo Classic line. Now I feel that Henry is missing the same boat by not offering their 30-30 Single Shot with a 26" barrel.

Marlin and Winchester have long offered the 30-30 with long barrels. Maybe not consistently, but they were offered. Marlin is offering the 336 XLR with a 24" barrel. I have long wanted one. It's about the last rifle I really want. Otherwise I am pretty set with the firearms I have.

I am just afraid to order one. I recently looked at a Marlin 336 Big Loop carbine. It was actually fit pretty good except the sling swivel studs were crooked. Sure, it will not hurt shootability, and you really had to look to see it, a casual glance would not notice it, but still, for a rifle that retails for $700 plus, I just expect better.

I am really fighting to order this rifle....or not. It's a shame you have to second guess a company like Marlin.

https://calibremag.ca/the-rise-fall-and-rise-of-marlin/

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
Why a 26” barrel? Must be reloading something special?

I always heard that 24 was about max for factory 30-30?

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why a 26" barrel? Must be reloading something special?

I always heard that 24 was about max for factory 30-30?
24" is good. My Handi Rifle sports a 22" and I can get 2500 FPS without much trouble with a 150 grain bullet and Hodgdon LVR powder. With a single shot you have no receiver so the 26" barrel gives you just a bit more of a sighting advantage if using aperture sights, plus it should yield another 50 to 100 FPS The Buffalo Classic 45-70 came with a 32" barrel. The Buffalo Classic Target 38-55 came with a 28" barrel, and the Buffalo Classic Carbine 45 Colt came with a 20" barrel i just think that a 26" would be natural for a 30-30 in the same line would still give you a slightly shorter rifle than the Marlin XLR.

The Taylors and Company Baby Sharps in 30-30 has a 26" barrel and I think it has very clean lines. It's on the radar, but it's also several hundred dollars more than the 336, and a whole lot of hundreds of dollars more than the Henry Single Shot.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
Gold trigger? Sounds like a Marlin? Oh. It looks like Savage did a few after 1960, in .308?

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,665 Posts
i do like the 30-30. And I do like the Marlin 336... It's about the last rifle I really want. Otherwise I am pretty set with the firearms I have.
Liar, liar, pants afire

This is about the third (or fourth) time you have went through this. Stop selling, keep BUYING and just get everything you want. Sellers remorse always hits you HARD. does it not?

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Liar, liar, pants afire

This is about the third (or fourth) time you have went through this. Stop selling, keep BUYING and just get everything you want. Sellers remorse always hits you HARD. does it not?
Not really, before I sell something off I make sure I will like it’s replacement better.

About the only remorse I have is selling off the Armscor 45 GI and compact along with the 200 and 206. Sure, I like the Ruger 1911 and 2 SP 101’s better, but the Armscor pistols didn’t bring much, being they are so cheap to start with. Wish I would of kept them and bought the Ruger’s outright.

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Not really, before I sell something off I make sure I will like it’s replacement better.

About the only remorse I have is selling off the Armscor 45 GI and compact along with the 200 and 206. Sure, I like the Ruger 1911 and 2 SP 101’s better, but the Armscor pistols didn’t bring much, being they are so cheap to start with. Wish I would of kept them and bought the Ruger’s outright.
I had an Armscor snubby (206?). Should have kept it when I bought the Ruger EC9. Should also find a 200 with the longer barrel

Reactions: Rerun
1 - 10 of 10 Posts