Marlins are Junk

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dohrmc, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Dohrmc

Dohrmc IIWFWTIWRTW Member

At least that is what I have read on many internet sites and forums.

I don't agree at all.

I have had several Marlins, and am still kicking myself for selling my 336 30.30, and my Marlin 39A lever action .22.
    I find them to be quite accurate. Last year I bought a Marlin 795 for a cheap price. I put a 40+ yr old Weaver 4 power scope on it, and sighted it in at 25 yds. Need to shoot it at 50 yds and 75 yds, but this was the best range I could use at the time.

These targets will show how good this gun is. (One of the supposedly bad new Marlins, made in Kentucky.) targets all shot at 25 yds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. Dohrmc

Ahhh, they are horizontal. It's an Apple thing.

Attached Files:

3. Dohrmc

Don't know how to fix it, last one.

Attached Files:

4. I hear Hi-Points are junk.:rolleyes:

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just got an XT-22, it was 2013 made, IIRC, and it's a good solid rifle.

My other 8 Marlins are all pre-Freedom Group, so they are fine.:p

Most of the complaints I heard about were the lever guns, the bolt action center fires seem to have no issues, and the rimfires, while there is a story or two out there, are generally still good, though not as good as they used to be since they now use more plastic and cheaper wood, or poly.:(

But still accurate.:)

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I was checking on .357 LA rifles last year and saw some complaints about the "new" Marlins being cheaply made. Evidently Marline Firearms Co is now owned by Freedom Group and the quality has suffered?????

7. Dohrmc

No comparison between my old Marlins, (wiping away a tear), and this gun. Don't like synthetic stocks. But, they are still accurate.

8. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I have two Remlins, a 1894C and a 925M, both are fine. The lever gun was full of crudely fit parts, razor sharp edges, the butt stock is a tad misfit, but it shot great. I used a cowboy action site for info and tuned it up. It's a great rifle. Disappointing for the price I paid, but that price was (is still?) driven up by cowboy action demand. For what it should have sold for, it's a decent rifle. It's 2 to 3 inches at a hundred yards with my bear loads. It's light, handles great...I like it. The 925 is a heavy bastard, same rough machining, but it was only 200 bucks and it shoots terrific too.

It's been a number of years now since Remington bought them out. I'd imagine the quality wrinkles with lever guns have been worked out. The rough edge machining is a fact of life with these cheaper CNC made guns. Learn to tune them yourself or just wait for them to break in. I'm not unhappy.

9. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I have a Marlin XS7 in 308 I picked up a few months ago. For a supposedly "bargain" rifle it has been great. Accurate (makes me look good) and the fit/finish is great - as it can be for a synthetic stock. Yes, I still want to get a Boyds stock for it, but the ProFire trigger (aka adjustable trigger) is a great addition. To me this has features a rifle a few hundred more that I paid ($243.00 delivered) should have.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  10. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I have a 336W 30-30. It's not as nice as the older 336s, but it shoots good. I put a scope on it and can shoot pretty good groups at 100 yards. It's also the only gun I've bought at Walmart.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I hear you. The 39A is a serious old world all steel gun that your great grandkids will still be able to shoot.

[​IMG]

12. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I bought a Marlin 795 recently. Had to polish the feed ramp to get it to feed much of anything. Once polished it'll now feed even the cr** bulk ammo.

13. Asher1

Asher1 Member

You hear about being told Marlins are junk (I like em) but you haven't heard anything until you bring up a conversation about the Remington 522 Viper I own... that guns trigger is such crap, opened firing pin is loud as heck (snap/boom), you find yourself flipping the gun over and looking at the safety to make sure its not on. The problem the gun has a cheap 3x9 scope, has a nice oversized fore arm, and its accurate as heck.. I really hate this gun, but find myself always grabbing it up and shooting a couple rounds through it..

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My 597 has a terrible trigger as well. Sad when I compare it to the old 582 I have, that's got a great trigger.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Only Marlin I own is a model 60 and talk about crap wood! It is a Diamond Jubilee Otasco hardware commemorate model from 1978! It is very accurate. Never a problem. It hardly ever goes out. Last time was 3 years ago. My brother has one that is 1 digit off from mine. Presents from my dad back in '78.

I have no idea WTF happened to this stock. Mine looks nothing like this. http://www.armslist.com/posts/318211/tulsa-oklahoma-rifles-for-sale--22-semi-auto-rifle

16. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I have a 25MN I bought used that was made in the mid 90s and a model 60 I bought new in 2001. They both look new, have been totally reliable and both are very accurate. I paid $130 for the 25MN with a cheap scope and $108 for my model 60. Reliable and accurate at a bargain price. What more can you ask?

17. I paid $60 (plus $25 shipping) for a Marlin 60 on GB. The stock was beat up so I dropped $120 on a Boyds Evolution stock for it, tore it down, cleaned it up and it is one of the most accurate 22's I've ever shot. I'm talking 5 shots in a ragged 3/8" - 1/2" hole at 50 feet. Off bags of course. Best piece of crap gun I've ever owned.