Massive over pressure

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by jniedbalski, May 28, 2014.

1. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I have the high point 9 mm 40 and the 40 carbine .i like all of them. I was shooting factory win white box ammo out of my 9mm . I went through almost a box and my wife said hay I want to shoot it. I told her ok let me finish this clip. After the mag was almost empty my last 2 rounds left and a huge boom. Parts started hitting the ground and it felt like a fire cracker blew up in my hand. My hands went numb I couldn't feel them for like 15 min. I only had a small cut on one of my fingers . It was a vary Shallow cut but it bled like crazy. I sent it in to mom and it's all good new gun same serial number. They fixed it even though it was the ammo. There was nothing blocking the barrel I was shooting slow counting my rounds on target at 15 yards.it was a massive over pressure or a detonation. I sent my rounds to Winchester and they called me back to tell me they were reloads. I know they weren't because I have been reloading for 25 years and I just bought a lee die set and the bullet mold that I got in after this happend. I have never had a 9mm before. I asked Winchester why he thought they were reloads and he said that the primers where sealed with a red sesler and they don't do that at Alton . I told him all the win ammo I looked at at the store had red sealed primers total silence on the phone. Then he said that the primers where gold plated and they only use silver primers. I told him I have seen both silver and gold plated primers in one box at wallmart total silence on the phone. Then he said again about the primers being sealed with red sealent and they don't do that . I told him that I could go to wall mart and send him a pic of win ammo with red sealer on the primers silence again. I finally got mad and hung up they did send my ammo back. They did pull one of the bullets I noticed. I threw the other box away.also two of the bullets in the un fired box were vary short like the bullet was seated to deep. .has any body had a problem like this ? My new 9 from mom shoots great
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1401314701.970663.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1401314759.379681.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1401314798.355712.jpg box no

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  2. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I forgot to add the plastic grips where in about 12 to 15 pieces the plomer frame was gone past the trigger guard that I found a week later at the range because of the snow. It fell 4 feet from where I was shooting. I was in a panic because I didint have it and it had the serial number on it . I had to let the snow melt a week later to find it. The chamber is completely blown out the primer was gone out of the shell. The slide around the firing pin hole was imprinted on the back of the shell. Also the hole of the primer pocket was over 2 x the size of normal. Has any body ever seen this? Also it is a vary scary to have this happen glad my wife wasent shooting at the time

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So. Couple questions. Why didn't you just use duct tape and krazy glue to fix it, and where the hell did MoM find the serial number?

Also not clear on your query. Have I ever had a round blow a firearm to bits? No. Have I ever dealt with a corporate representative that has attempted to deny any and all responsibility by clearly lying through their teeth? Oh Hells Ya.

edit:

I see you answered the serial number question.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'd lodge a complaint further up the chain with Winchester... That's BS.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'd have to agree.
    Buy a box of the mixed primer ammo and take it up the chain.

6. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I haven't seen the mixed primer in a box of win white box except the one I threw away. I have seen the red primer coating on them at academy .I did a internet search and found out somebody found silver and gold plated primers in a box plus two black primers . I also found that win has been importing ammo from Korea , Israel and Europe and putting there name on it. At least MoM fixed it Evan if it was clearly the ammo. That round had to be 90,000 plus on pressure to do this . A double charge is about 70,000 and I have seen high points survive this on the internet. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1401322771.634690.jpg

7. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Glad you're okay.

8. bws

bws Member

Counterfeit ammo? Almost every manufacturer that deals with Walmart has to have a factory in China, or somewhere off shore.

9. Bull

I'd say someone still owes you some ammo for your time and trouble.... Let alone mailing everything in.

10. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

It kind

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hey, anyone remember what many of us old timers keep saying about WWB?:confused:

I rest my case.:cool:

Glad you came out of it ok, jniedbalski.

12. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

thats pretty impressive that you can pack that much powder into a 9mm casing to do that kinda damage to such a rugged gun. glad nobody got injured to seriously.

13. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

It kind of freaked me out at first but ten min later I was fine. My wife was the one totally freaking out saying your going to the hospital I don't care your going .i went home washed of my finger showed her it was a vary minor cut. Yes I was lucky. The only other time I kind of had this happen was when I was shooting a bolt burno 22 lr and the extractor blew off with the retaining clip. There was a small hole in the base of the 22 lr shell. The gun smith I took it to said the extractor cut was angled to close to the chamber and finally a small part of the chamber blew out causing the extractor and retaining clip to fly with a puff of pressure back in the face . Glad I had glasses on

14. Sirex

Sirex Member

So this was just from a regular box, or WWB 9mm you bought at Walmart? Wow, I have several boxes of WWB. Maybe time to put it on Armslist.

15. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I bought it at wallmart or Buchits it's a farm store hear in se missouri. That's about the only place I buy ammo . Now academy opened up I now have another place to buy ammo.

16. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I bought the ammo about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago . I remember buying PCM also because it was cheep and on sale at the time. I bought a few boxes of each .

17. Bull

Ack!!!! That's too close to home...

18. bws

bws Member

God I feel like such a schmuck... First and foremost, I'm damn glad you're ok and that nobody was seriously injured. Secondly, it makes me almost wonder if your ammo was made during a batch transition? I mean I don't know if they have a continuous supply feeding the powder into the machine, if I had to guess, it could have happened at a point where they were dialing things back in after a production shut down, thus causing a hot load.

19. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

This kind of follows with what Ajole said above. Several years ago it was taboo to use WWB around here due to many reports of quality problems.

Winchester doesn't make guns anymore right, just the name stamped on other stuff right? Do they still make ammo?

20. You were injured, make no more contact, find a reasonable attorney. Then have them send a registered letter. Kinda thinking there tune will change.