Maxam Powder - CSB 1 or 5

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by MarkGlazer, Dec 22, 2014.

1. MarkGlazer

MarkGlazer Member

I received my 995TS today after having to return it to MoM. I haven't even fired it yet, can't wait to get to the range after the Christmas break.

I've done some research on Maxam Powder and have deemed it to too fast for a handgun load, at least not to my liking. However, a carbine is a different matter entirely. So, whose loading with it right now and what are your results? I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks.

2. Is this a European powder company? Never seen it, nothing to compare it to and the web site list loads in grams.

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Never used it, plenty of other well known powders to use.

4. I check it out. I wouldn't bother with it unless it was in the $10-12 a pound range, tops.

5. Branth

Branth Member

Sometimes it's all you can find. I've used some crappy powders for handgun when I couldn't find anything else - 700x is NOT my fave, but I loaded around 1500 rounds of 9mm with it 'cause it was all I could find.

I don't have any experience with the ones you're talking about, though. Good lock to you!

6. MarkGlazer

MarkGlazer Member

Thanks. I appreciate your response Branth.

I was hoping that someone out there doesn't mind thinking outside the proverbial box and experimenting with alternative resources, given the circumstances. The fact is, at this particular time, the powders that I want to work with are not readily available. I'm far from desperate, have an ample supply to last a full year. However, I want to match powder to weapon and not dig into a supply I've acquired for a specific purpose.

With regards to pricing, I know of no powder in the $10-12 range. Perhaps Mr. Perotter would like to share his resource with the board?

Thanks again. Best to all in the coming year.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Look at shotgun powders, Red/Blue/Green Dot; they work well in pistol calibers like 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP.

I seeing more powders become available around here so hopefully things are getting better. Heck last weekend I was able to 9 jugs of TrailBoss and 4lbs of IMR4895.