Maybe dumb question..is the slide pin suppose to be hollow?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by shelbyzman, Apr 11, 2008.

1. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    I don't plan on taking my new c9 apart anytime soon, but I was looking and I noticed that I could see through the place where the pin is for taking of the slide off.
    ( the pin where the notch on slide is when slide is locked back and safety on)
    I just want to make sure it is ok before I go shooting in a couple weeks.
    Sorry for the crappy explanation.... :?

2. Not having one of mine out right now, I believe that it is called a roll pin, which is hollow and can be seen through. Nothing to worry about.

3. Mine is the exact same way. It's normal.

4. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    Ok, thanks guys. I just wanted make sure :lol:

5. s0b3

s0b3 Member

even the springfield xd uses a roll pin in the slide. it's all good.

6. Don't believe 'em! You have a severe infestation of ferrous termites, and I recommend IMMEDIATELY shipping all HPs to me for further diagnosis!

Just kidding: the previous posters are right. Roll pins act as cylindrical springs. Forced into holes that are slightly too small, the pin can maintain a tight fit as temperatures change far better than a solid pin would do. That's not so much of an issue with a polymer frame, but I think that -- in the world of metal-on-metal -- that's the origin.

7. it does feel a bit cheap but it hold up for mine.

8. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    I knew we had termites in this area....I just didn't think they would come after my c9.....I figured they would go after my New England 12 gauge first :oops: :lol:

9. Roll pins are used so that if the hole becomes enlarged, it helps keep itself tight in the hole, preventing it from coming loose.

Ferrous termites actually prefer other brands of firearms like Jennings and Glocks. ;)

wizard93

10. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    thanks for the explanation....I really didn't have a clue what advantage there could be of a hollow pin, know I do.

11. freedom

freedom Member

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: