Meet and shoot in Erie, PA

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by tallbump, Jun 14, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, folks, this came up in the tallbump tries not to bubba his Mosin thread, so I figured I'd start a separate thread and see what we can come up with.

According to the game commission, we can reserve a range with at least a 20 days notice.

I'm thinking some time in July. I'll get a hold of someone at the game commission regional office tomorrow if I can and get more specific details. Normally, you need a hunting license or range permit. I know a licensed person can take a guest. Not sure if I reserve it if that rule still applies if I reserve it.

The range is on Sampson road off of route 97

Here are the basic rules and general range info- http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=620410&mode=2

More detailed rules

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=937862&mode=2

It looks like me, Merle and Kfox are in. Hoping ls1 can make it.

2. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

PA is soooo far away and July is short notice :( I want to be there to meet you guys!

3. To far for me. I shoot some in the back yard on the same day so i can be there in spirit :p

4. Hopefully you wouldn't be disappointed after such a long drive.... :rofl:

5. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

That's a long ride from SE PA, I could just stay local and drive home the next day, will have to see what days you chose and see if I can... I do hate that damn 3 round rule in the weapons at state ranges also. It is free though...

Good luck getting it together.

6. I'll have to see if I can get a few Western NY and PA members over at Firearms Talk interested in a get together as well. I know a few of us in this area have been thinking about setting something up as well, and i might even be able to come up with a private range near Warren for one in the future via that group as well.

Can't lock anything down 100% as of right now, but I might be able to get a few folks together for a range trip. Once we have a possible date or dates, I'll let the room mate, his girlfriend, and her parents know. as well.

Have to agree with Evil. Maybe try for something in August so we can get some long distance folks involved. Might even get some of the folks from Western Ohio that way as well.

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

3.5 hours from me

8. Nothing says we can't have more than one - or only at one location! :D

9. tallbump

August would be fine with me too if we think that will be better.

The 3 round rule does stink, but I think the intent of the range is give people an opportunity to get sighted in.

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

don't worry most of us would probably rather meet you than each other anyhow.

Warren would be much more convenient to me for sure and it would be an hour closer for Rach.

11. Well, I've seen her picture - but not yours - so I'll be a gentleman and refrain from judging! :D

12. Looks like from the posters I am one of the closest at 90 min. I don't understand the permit thing. Can non Pa residents shoot?

13. tallbump

Dave

That is somethign I'll need to find out.

If someone goes by themselves, they need either a PA hunting license or a range permit. A license holder or permit holder can bring a guest.

But then it says the range can be reserved for groups. Not sure if everyone in the group has to have a permit or license, or just the person making the reservation

14. tallbump

Ok, I heard back from the game commission today. He said if we reserve the range, everyone present needs either the permit or hunting license. And, you can't reserve on a weekend or holiday :rolleyes:
    1SO, I guess this probably isn't a very viable idea SOrry for taking everyone's time.....

Perhaps I'll get together with Kevin and or Merle at some point

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You all could come here. Free range use and as a member I can close the range for the whole day

16. well, thanks for trying! :)

17. North Dakota, isn't it? That's a bit far for my ancient car....... ;)

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've got a suburban...

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

What do you say Flash shoot n beer and shoot in?

20. lsi1

lsi1 Member

shotgun!! both where i sit and what i'm bringing.