Memorial Day 2015: The Real Story Behind the Holiday

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, May 25, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

https://gma.yahoo.com/memorial-day-2015-real-story-behind-holiday-193016093.html

Memorial Day Weekend usually conjures up images of backyard parties, beaches and beer.

But Memorial Day is more than just a three-day weekend marking the unofficial start of summer. It's actually been an official national holiday for over 40 years aimed at remembering those who served in the armed forces.

Here is a brief look at the history behind the holiday.

A few years after the end of the Civil War, May 30 was established as "Decoration Day" -- a day to decorate veterans' graves with flowers. May 30 may have been the selected day because flowers would be in bloom throughout the country, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

In 1971, Memorial Day was officially declared a national holiday and placed on the last Monday in May, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website says.

In December 2000, the president signed into law The National Moment of Remembrance Act.

"The National Moment of Remembrance encourages all Americans to pause wherever they are at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day for a minute of silence to remember and honor those who have died in service to the nation," the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website says.

2. tjulian

tjulian Member

Thanks to all who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

4. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

All I need to know, when needed, a small percentage of the population stand up and serve their country, some try, but for medical or other reasons are not allowed.

A percentage of those never come home...........we remember them

5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Someone posted this on the FB/Cap & Ball Revolvers page today......

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I cleaned up my grandparents and uncles graves today(he died in Korea). Placed new flags after pulling weeds. Then I pitched in to wash the civil war and Sioux Uprising graves there and apply a new coat of preservative. Most have had the stones restored so the names are visible and we wash them down to remove acid rain then apply the clear coat to stop the headstones from crumbling. Was a good afternoon well spent.

Of course I fired up the smoker for some BBQ chicken and smoked baked beans when I got home! Have to eat!

7. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

We went to our friend's out in NY. My friend who just bought that Ural was asked to ride in his small town's parade.

He rode with his wife and youngest daughter in the sidecar. My kids and wife ended up riding on a float with their son. I followed along on foot taking pics.

The parade ended at a small cemetery where a ceremony took place. There was a 21 gun salute, a flag folding ceremony, a prayer, and a speech by a very decorated Army man who was retiring very soon with over 20 years in service. I wish I remembered his name. Of course, taps was played at at the end of the ceremony.

It was a very moving time and I am quite glad my family attended