> Mental excercise< Multiple shooter scenario...what do you do?

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by SWAGA, Dec 20, 2015.

1. I already carry an assualt weapon in the trunk when I go to large soft targets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I do not and do not intend to carry an assault weapon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I do not but am considering carrying an assault weapon

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. I would arm up and go back in regardless

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I would only go back in if family or friends are left behind

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  6. I would not go back in, this is the job of LE

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I've been thinking about this for a while now....and it's been rekindled by the recent events.
    Think a multiple shooter scenario in a large mall or similar complex.
    Mumbai or Kenya mall style attack, multiple shooters, may be multiple locations but that's not really relevant to my question.
    Assume that you are carrying your CCW gun and you are with your spouse/partner/kids.
    The mayhem starts....
    For one thing I don't like the lock down scenario, I am going to try and make a run for it.
    I am not equipped for an extended firefight with multiple shooters armed with assault weapons and I doubt any of you are.
    Now, without going all mall ninja, how many of you would consider or are already carrying an assault style weapon in the trunk?
    How many of you would fight your way out to only go back in again once armed with whatever you had stashed in the trunk?
    In the Kenya mall shooting several armed civilians went in before the police, they were armed with handguns.
    So you've made it out with your spouse/partner/kids, will you arm up and go back in? I'm assuming LEO is on scene but they haven't set up a command post or a perimeter yet.
    The reason that I'm asking is I'm not sure what I would do....
    What if you got separated and you made it out but your spouse didn't.
    Would you leave it all to Law Enforcement?

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

I would not run back in there with a rifle, if cops are on scene, that's suicide. I have no one to worry about, I can't run because of my hip, so I would be hiding or playing dead and if I had a shot with my pee shooter, I'd like to think I'd take it. Even just crippling one shooter will help in the overall scheme of things. I may die, but I'm going to anyway, I've accepted that. I'm not a religious man, and not sure about God, but things have happened in my life that just defy any other explanation, except maybe ET. If I'm in a position to try and make a difference, maybe that's why I'm there.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

If my wife and or kids were in there. God help who ever got in my way. But I'm a little screwy anyway.

4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

If me and mine make it to the parking lot, I will withdraw with my family and vehicle to the farthest corner from any exits and seek shelter in the surrounding neighborhood.

It's only a matter of time for the terrorists to block exit routes with more shooters.

The LEO has a tough time already without armed civilians to watch out for.

eldar

5. moona11

Very true eldar

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My wife and or kids would me with me if I got out.... Otherwise I wouldn't leave..... And once we were all out, unless there was zero chance any police would show up, I wouldn't go back in... Now going in to get my wife and or kids...... I'd probably try.

7. moona11

8. SWAGA

What I probably should have added...is how to avoid getting shot by LE in the process?
    Tell your spouse to tell LE that one of the good guys is wearing jeans and a green T-shirt?
    Call 911 and tell them yourself?

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    It's good to think of these things before hand, but I have no pat
    answer for your exact scenario. The worst part is having police
    show up and mistake YOU for a BG. Kinda ruins a guy's day :rofl:
    Certain scenarios I know I would return fire, possible try and
    take said shooters out, if they were unaware of my presence.
    Many modifiers you did not cover, suppose you were in the john,
    and the shooters made their way PAST your location some how,
    then you would have the advantage if they did not strategically
    have a follow up man tailing them. BINGO!

I try and follow the Doc Holliday rules, back to the wall, facing
    the doors, as much as possible. Condition Orange at all times...

10. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Unless you have a vest or jacket with POLICE, FBI, ATF, SWAT, etc across the front and back, going back in would be stupid. It's not only the LEOs you'd have to worry about, but other ccw holders might think they have a shot at a bad guy. Unless you have family members still inside, once you're out, stay out. If nothing else, watch for bad guys trying to leave.

11. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

If I was a terrorist I would get a vest or jacket that said Police, FBI, or ATF on it to confuse everyone. Think of the problems that could cause. Or maybe a group of terrorists with those jackets.

12. SWAGA

"Good guy" in aluminum tape?

13. bluharley

bluharley Member

If I see a "cop" shooting innocent civilians with an AR or AK, he's game.

14. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

When the real good guys show up, how do you differentiate? Think about the hesitation and confusion.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm all for stopping a bad guy, and I'll engage any I have a good shot at if they are in my way or threatening anyone in a situation where I could stop him...but I'm not going back in looking to stop a group.

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I take what ever actions are appropriate or are required for the scenario as it unfolds.
    I don't play what-if games.

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That's pretty much the same thought that rolled through my head just now.

Active shooter situations are dynamic. You may have a playbook in your head for how things should go, but you know the old saying. "No plan survives first contact with the enemy." You take opportunities as they present themselves.

18. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Ditto Rach and Flash. I seriously doubt I would go up against armed terrorists or crazies with a 5 shot .38 wheelgun unless cornered and/or had to protect family/friends. I would get the hell out of dodge asap. You'd be more help outside describing the bad guys to the responders. (How many, what they are wearing, type weapons, etc.) As far as going back in; the only time I would do that is for family/friends, and if the only cop in there was Barney Fife and I knew he needed help (Can't imagine Barney needing help though. He Da Man!). Or did I watch the Andy Griffith show way too many years?:rolleyes:

19. SWAGA

True, but not all of us have the benefit of formal training and/or experience.
    I which case a what if scenario can be useful.
    It may answer questions that nobody bothered to ask.
    Also don't think it's too far out of bounds considering several Sheriff's 'call to arms'.

Question about the interaction between LE and armed citizens.
    Is there any or will it be of the 'shoot first ask questions later' variety?

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY