Metal frame for HP pistol

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by thingmeister, Jan 18, 2016.

1. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

I can't be the only one that has thought about a metal, probably aluminum frame for the Hipoint pistols. What's the word on this? Anyone hear of it?

2. The early HPs -during the transition from Stallard, Haskel, and Iberia, were alloy framed guns.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Now this is funny!

Yes, it's been thought of...and tried...and then dropped when a better stronger lighter material, a polymer, was chosen to replace it.;)

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Plastic is for Barbie guns, real man guns are wood and steel....in .45acp......and 30.06

5. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

Stronger? Hardly. Calling the Hp frames polymer is a stretch. They are closer to a standard plastic injection McDonald's toys are made of. Have you ever seen this this happen on a 1911? [​IMG]
    Now it was not intent to dog on HP. But this is sad. This is a high stress area but it appears to be the weakest part of the whole frame! So now I have to find a way to fix what HP overlooked. That's why I was thinking all metal frame. This would not have happened if it was.

6. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

What was the problem with the alloy frames?

7. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

The metal HP used wasn't any aircraft quality aluminum, it was basically zinc alloy, same as the slide material.

8. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

My guess, probably the weight, less expense, and the plastic frames would have more flexibility than the alloy ones.

9. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

I would be interested in a machined AL frame.

10. SWAGA

Well what's stopping you? ;)
    You're the fabricator lol

11. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

Well I like to learn from other people's follies. No sense in reinventing wheel.

12. SWAGA

No but it would be fun....the TM45, aluminum frame with a JHP slide and 1911 mags.

13. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I will not read this thread beyond the OP. I have spoken to this many times before.

I believe an all metal, fixed barrel, quality built blow back gun could be one of the most reliable and accurate guns on the market. Given how well the Hi Point works, and the reduction in machining snd manufacturing steps (reducing costs) I can't figure why someone hasn't done it. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Just imagine what a 350 buck JHP could be. That beats the dog crap out of anything. Yet would be quality blowback reliability and revolver like accuracy. There's room in there for a striker block ssfety, double stack QUALITY mag, and a great trigger. I really believe they could blow everyone off the map. OK maybe it would cost 400. If that can blow everyone off the map in a 100% yank made gun with a no questions asked forever and ever warrenty? Only a fool wouldn't buy one. In fact none of us would buy one cause they wouldn't be able to keep up. Lol

14. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Perhaps you could look into an 80% 1911 frame and modify it to use HP internals/slides/barrels.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I imagine that it would be gathering dust in the LGS because it couldn't compete on price. The Kel Tec PF9 and P11 are around $250, as are the SCCY pistols.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I believe they thinking specifically about the JHP.

17. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

Yes specifically the JHP. I like the idea of a 80% lower

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    that i'd buy!!! :d

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not that, personally. But I have seen 1911's break, in various ways. Safeties, slide releases, wallowed pin holes...but you miss the point. I didn't say stronger than steel.;)

The polymer is better/stronger/lighter than the Zamack was.

And when I say "stronger", realize there are different ways to measure that. Tensile, shear, compression, and various other types of strength.

Or...it might have. A weak point is a weak point, regardless of the material it's in.;)

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    But Kirk...none of those is a .45.:p