metal peeling off of firing pin channel

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Dave4903, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

I have a cf380 and there are pieces of metal peeling off of the sides of the channel where the firing pin and doll head slide. Apparently there are thin metal strips placed along the channel because, I guess, the metal that the slide is made out of is not suitable for a bearing material and would wear quickly. I am guessing I would need an entirely new slide assembly.
    Has anyone run into this problem?

IMG_0344.jpg

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It has been known to happen.

Call Mom, the factory, and box it up and ship it back to them via UPS. They'll fix it up, no cost other than shipping, and send it back to your house.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I think what you are seeing is the powder coat flaking off. I have seen this on several of my older guns. What you would want to look for, would be cracks? Take a wire brush or something & remove any loose material and clean it up. Then check it out the next time you shoot?

4. Dave4903

The powder coating is flaking off too. I should have brushed it off before taking the photo. In the photo, I circled the area where the metal strip has peeled off.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

As far as I know the firing pin channel has steel inserts in the zamak slide.
    That's what you might be seeing.

6. Dave4903

I finally got a call through to MoM about this. The tech said to just remove any loose pieces of metal and it will still function fine. I guess I will just check it for any new peeling whenever I clean it.

7. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Everyone of my high points have had that. That is just the slag around the steel inserts molded into the bolt.
    You can slice it off and lightly smooth it down with some 500 and 1000 grit sandpaper.
    Or you can wait for it to wear off by itself.
    I just don't want for it to possibly jam up in the firing pin channel, so I take it off.
    Easy peasey.