Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed any metal shavings in the firing pin track of their c-9? I've only fired about 50 rounds in my c-9 and I took the pin out to clean and noticed some metal shavings near the springs of the firing pin. I wondered if this is just ammo remnants or actual metal break down from the slide? I wasn't that worried just curious I guess.

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
I have two new c9 with about 200 rounds through each. I don't have any metal shavings but then I blow my actions out after shooting them. I would say its just break in or possible machining metal from the factory.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't recall any metal shavings in mine per se. If you can get some pics that might help others take a look too.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Look at the friction surfaces in the area. The shavings are likely from break-in wear, (unless there is
a honking huge amount or big shavings.)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I also have metal shavings in my C9 after I shoot. About 150 rounds through it and every time there are metal shavings when I open it to clean it. The metal release that keeps the firing pin back when it's cocked seems to be at a slight angle instead of being in line with the direction of the barrel. There is scarring on the track in the slide where the piece that holds the firing pin and springs in place goes back and forth. I figure I will see shavings until the slide and firing pin release shave each other down. So far it seems to function okay.

·
Polymer Extrusionist
2,398 Posts
Its normal, every new gun has a "break-in" period just like engines in new cars. That is why you change the oil in new engine sooner than in an older engine. This is why I believe it is important to disassemble and clean your Hi Point after every range trip. Yes, you do not HAVE TO, but this is your new gun, you want it to run like a well oiled machine so you have to clean it regularly, especially when it is new.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Its normal, every new gun has a "break-in" period just like engines in new cars. That is why you change the oil in new engine sooner than in an older engine. This is why I believe it is important to disassemble and clean your Hi Point after every range trip. Yes, you do not HAVE TO, but this is your new gun, you want it to run like a well oiled machine so you have to clean it regularly, especially when it is new.
+A1. I tear down every gun, new or used, before I shoot it. My JHP was full of metal and manufacturing crud NIB and so was my new Marlin 1894C. Strangely, at least according to internet jabber, my new Taurus was not full of crap or heavy grease. It's not unusual or anything to worry about so long as you get it out before it creates wear that shouldn't happen. That's why you change the oil often on a brand new engine, to get that crap out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts