Mickey Mouse the SKS

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, May 25, 2014.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Finally got to try out my Yugo SKS. Not cycling. Pressure leak between the Gas Valve and the Tube. Do I need to replace the valve & tube or would a rubber gasket solve the problem ($75 fix vs $.75 fix)? Doesn't get hot enough there to melt a gasket.

2. By gas valve do you mean gas block?

3. My Chinese SKS doesn't have that. I'm sure someone will be along soon. You should check out Survivor's SKS Boards. Tons of info there.

4. cicpup

Vermont
    Only on a pineapple chuckin' Yugo. Designed to disengage the gas tube for grenade launching.

5. I dunno the nomenclature but it sounds to me that you have the gas turned off, as if you were gonna launch a grenade. Turn the little button looking thing downward.

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Guess again. As I said "Pressure leak between the Gas Valve and the Tube". Proved by sealing the seam with masking tape, firing a round, and watching the tape get blown off.

7. and fwiw there is no rubber gasket

8. cicpup

Vermont
    I know. I'm trying to find out if I can fix it with a rubber gasket instead of dropping $75 - $100 on new parts. Get it?

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

Try a simple o-ring at first. I would think it would at least seal enough to know if it can be sealed for a few rounds before it fails from heat.

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Yea that's what I was thinking. I use one on a certain apparatus I own that reaches over 200 degrees and it lasts for dozens of hour long runs before needing replacing. Gas tube doesn't get anywhere near that hot and it looks like an o-ring would be a perfect fit.

11. you have at it there Skippy. sorry I posted in your thread, obviously you know what you are doing.

And fwiw I easily found replacement parts (which I do not believe will fix your issue) for well under 40 bucks

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Been pricing. Gas Valve's around $25 & tube's $50+.

BTW, appropriate avatar you have there.

Oh, do tell. What do you think will fix my issue?

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

"Certain apparatus"? ;)

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

i was actually meaning more along the lines of a cheap, rubber one, not a high temperature silicone o-ring, for the simple fact that i'd much rather the ring fail under pressure, or heat than it create a possible issue. not knowing exactly how it will react, i'd personally rather give myself that kind of leeway (?spelling?) for safety reasons.

15. panoz77

panoz77 Member

16. seems you have it all sorted out.

I'd opt for putting in parts that aren't made for the rifle :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  17. cicpup

Vermont
    Always so helpful? Thanks for the suggestions.

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

wtf man? you posted you didnt know what to do to help him, then you post you found parts that you still dont think will help him, and your mad? kinda confused by this.......let me try to break it down here:

you: "try turning the gas vent''
    him: ''nope, that isnt it, its got a leak''
    you: ''sorry, guess i got nothing''
    you: ''have at it skippy, i cant help you, but i'll get pissed and act like an arsehole, maybe that will help the situation''
    him: "uh, ok, what do you suggest then?"
    you: ''oh no, i couldnt help up until this point, so now im just mad. grrrrr!!''

i fail to see why you think acting like a 3 year old that didnt get his way is going to help anything here. i know, if you told me ''sorry, guess i got nothing'', i would assume you ''had nothing'', as to why you suddenly got made because other people offered ideas that just might work, i cant really figure out.

seems like you've got your panties pulled just a touch too far up the ol' crack there. might want to adjust them a lil bit.