Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own several military surplus bolt action rifles until I got the ham radio bug and sold them to pay for my radio gear.

I'm still a ham radio operator, but am thinking about buying at least one or two rifles again. My local gun shop has MN's, Indian enfields, and some KAR98's.

I hear a lot of pros/cons on these forums about different rifles. I guess I would like to stay with mausers or enfields, because the MN's worry me a bit. The lack of a gas port while firing surplus ammo could get a little exciting.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
i'm just the opposite of SW, i have a couple of mausers, like them, fun to shoot and rock solid but i'm truly smitten with the Mosin's and basically anything russian. i've got 31 mosin's and a couple of nagant revolvers and am having no trouble with finding ammo plus i love seeing the expressions on my friends faces when they hear the short barreled mosin's fire. but in all honesty, my collecting attention has now turned almost strictly towards more mausers, there's alot more that i want to know and experience about those rifles. you really can't go wrong with any of the old classics, the enfields, mosins, mausers, garands and the swiss rifles are all great examples of history and well worth the prices.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You will find more parts for mausers and the ammo is at Wal*Mart if that helps.
Second in avialability is Lee Enfield, they have .303 at wallyworld but parts are harder to find.
third, the mosin. It's a bastard step child, If it werent for mail order ammo, your screwed. There are replacement stocks and triggers and scope mounts though.
I have all three and love the Mauser most.
I have been thinkiing of a more modern stock for the mosin and mauser like this one here:
From Richards Microfit gunstocks. http://rifle-stocks.com/silhouette.htm I like the looks of them and to put a nice decellerator on the back to replace the steel buttstock helps alot.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am a Mosin fan personally. You don't need to buy ammo at Walmart when 440 rounds are $80. There are plenty of quality ammo sources out there, and let's face it: You don't need Mosin parts. The gun is $70 on the net at some sites.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love my Enfields I have three of them, I love my Mauser a BRNO made K98. I also have a Mosin 91/30 the one I like the least. I have a tendency to shy away from Indian Enfields but that could just be me. Another one to think about is he Swiss K31... I have to reload to afford to shoot. So to shoot something that uses a .308 caliber bullet helps the cost of shooting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This forum rocks! I sure appreciate all of you kind and knowledgeable folks.

BTW, I should have kept my Type 38 carbine in 6.5 mm Arisaka. It was a tack driver. I've never seen another one, just the standard type 38 rifles.

I probably will pick up a mauser. I've had a Polish one and a Spanish one (circa 1945 w/ La Caruna crest).

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you can find one, the Yugo m48 mauser is supposed to be the cream of the crop as far as mausers are concerned. They are more finely crafted than the K98's because the Yugoslavs didn't use slave labor to make them. I've got 4 of them and 4 M24/47's. Yeah, I like mausers!! :wink:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mauser are hard to beat. I have a Yugo M48A and a Carl Gustavs 1918 Swede. Both are as accurate as I can shoot with open sights. My Enfield No.4 Mk I is a real Cadillac, but the stock leaves something to be desired.

I'm hoping to eventually get a K31 and a Steyer M95 if funds allow in the future. I already have 300 rounds of 8x56R on stripper clips.

wizard93

1 - 9 of 9 Posts