Military MSS sleeping system?

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Branth, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Branth

Branth Member

What are your opinions on the milsurp MSS sleeping systems? Can you really use the bivy and bag without a tent at all and sleep okay? If that's the case, even given how heavy the system is, it's a pretty good deal as far as weight goes - You'd end up spending a TON of money to find a system that will keep you warm and dry in temps as cold as that system is good for.

I can find them in good condition online for around $100, and it's really tempting...

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yep. Have one, use it, love it. Touch mine and I'll cut you. Love the 3 piece system, 4 it you count the WP compression sack it stores in. I've slept in each bag individually, and all together. It is truly a good set up and definitely holds up to the claim of being a -30 sub zero bag. The only other things I carry to supplement it are a shelter half and poncho.

3. Branth

Branth Member

How heavy slash expensive is the shelter half, and what does it get you over the basic poncho?

4. Rachgier

I picked the poncho and shelter half up at a military surplus store, so it was cheap. It isn't a whole lot of weight in comparison but we rarely carried them in the field, to cut down on weight. There isn't an advantage between them, but I like having both. The only "advantage" I heard explained was by a DI ripping a recruit a new one asking him if he planned on wearing his shelter half out on maneuvers after setting up camp.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Keep your gear dry...

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yep going with Rach touch it and die. I have both half's of the shelter half. Learned early on in basic

7. Branth

Branth Member

Mine just arrived. Seems to be in good shape, and it's the real Tennier bag, but it seems kinda thin, especially the patrol bag. I'm gonna run it on air fluff in the dryer and see if that brings some loft back. I had a cold weather surplus bag before that was not the MSS that had way more loft.

8. Rachgier

The patrol bag is supposed to be thin and light.

9. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

x2 that bag is supposed to be light weight. It's a great set up after I had one issued I had to pick up 3 of them for family camping.

10. Rachgier

Yep. The key to it all is the air trapped between the layers, adding thermal insulation, to make it a sub-zero system.