Mini 14 comes tomorrow....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Robertl1, May 14, 2014.

1. Finally found a new one at a decent price, ranch model. Anyone have any time on these?? Wanted one since I saw them on the A Team

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Never shot one, but I have been eyeing them. Just kinda expensive. I do love my 10/22 ITAC tho. Ruger makes a quality rifle no doubt.

3. Sure do, 679.00. Best price I have seen in way over a year.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Movie or TV show?

5. Tv show, not the same one but anything closer is not ny legal

6. Newer rifles are supposed to be better on accuracy, but they are not tack drivers by any means. The thin bbl heats up quick, and the gas system banging the bbl around doesn't help either. Aftermarket mags don't work well, Ruger OEM work great. Luckily, Bill died and his successors want to make money so you can now buy all the factory hi-cap mags ya want. Light fun little plinker or varmint remover. Kinda pricey for what they are, though.

7. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Thats a great price. Im seeing for around 800.00 locally on armslist.

8. desertrider

desertrider Member

When you go the range, make absolutely sure nobody is lined up to the right of you.

My Ranch Model is absolutely diabolical at spitting hot brass at warp speed at anyone within thirty feet to the right of me.

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The mini-14 is a great truck gun for nailing coyotes and other assorted varmints. As said above, it has a propensity to lose accuracy as the barrel heats up, but if you don't go Rambo with it you should be fine. I've never had a problem with mine, and while not sub-MoA, the accuracy meets all the stringent requirements for MoM. ;)

10. Wonder if I can adjust it not to spit the brass so far, gonna scope it and see how it does. Got this and a henry frontier in the last 6 months....been gently told that's it for a while....hope I like it as much as my 995ts. Henry's a fun gun, like the octogon barrel and the lever action. Jammed a ton the first time out but not once since.

11. Got it from buds, been looking for one under list for over a year, bought it and checked the next day and out of stock already

12. desertrider

desertrider Member

You'll find that Mini's can be just as polarizing as Hi Points if you find yourself in the company of the tactical firearm elitists.

The AR crowd can be very vocal about the inherent inaccuracy of the Mini due to its pencil thin barrel and the difficulty in finding affordable and reliable hi cap mags. They're often amazed at why anyone would buy a Mini when an AR can be found for less money.

I don't pay attention to the haters, my Mini is fun to shoot and accurate enough for my needs.:)

13. Good to hear, not getting a decent ar for 700, also can't even get one her in nanny state ny. Don't care what other people say anyway, not trying to impress anyone but myself. Seen a lot of tacticool guys at the range with serious gear who can't shoot at all

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you lived outside NY, you'd see lots of decent ARs for $700, including DPMS, DelTon, and others.

But that's just a detail, your point is well taken, a new mini for $700 is a great deal. Congrats! :)

15. True, didn't really look into ar's as I can't get one anyway.bought a couple various cap ruger mags, have ammo and heading out straight from the lgs. Bet it shoots better than I can see...bet I'll be looking for sub 200.00 scopes soon. Anyway wanted a sub 2k, couldn't find one got my 995ts instead and love it.

16. I've liked them for so long that I couldn't imagine not having one. It's really my favorite rifle to shoot, hunt with and I've used it for self-defense. The 1st shot has always hit where it needed to be. I'm not one to do mag dumps as rule. It also 'feels right' when I use it.

Back when I got one they were the cheapest new semi-auto rifle one could get. I do consider them over priced now and I get other rifle designs now.

I'm sure that it will serve you as well as mine has served me.

ps
    FWIW

I like it well enough that couple of years ago when I was back home a cousin asked me if my Mini was still my go-to-gun.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  17. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

its a great rifle, i do not personally own one but i have fired one and it was a lot of fun
    congrats

18. Well it came from bud's, looks great. Took it to the range and love the fireballs it shoots out, loud and throws the brass..... Love it

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You know what they say...PICS!!!!!!!:)

20. Back2School

Back2School Member

ok, I am ignorant on this one.

I know of the mini and think its cool, but why the mini over the AR?
    or the AR over the mini?