Missouri: Gun Owners Prevail in Veto Override Session

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by GoesBang, Sep 27, 2014.

1. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

September 11, 2014

Senate Bill 656 received final approval from the Missouri House of Representatives, and the veto by Governor Jay Nixon (D) was overridden. Things started late yesterday when the state Senate took up SB 656 during the veto override session and approved it by a 23 to 8 vote. The House approved this measure by a 117 to 39 vote, with supporters from both sides of the aisle.

As you might recall from an earlier ILA alert, Governor Nixon vetoed SB 656 and stated:

“Arming teachers will not make our schools safer,” Governor Nixon said. “I have supported and will continue to support the use of duly authorized law enforcement officers employed as school resource officers, but I cannot condone putting firearms in the hands of educators who should be focused on teaching our kids.”

Sponsored by state Senator Will Kraus (R-8) and handled in the House by state Representative Kevin Elmer (R-139), SB 656 addresses the following issues:

Allows the open carrying of firearms in all localities with a carry permit. Some localities currently have ordinances that ban open carrying of firearms, even by those with a valid carry permit.

Allows a school district to designate a teacher or administrator to qualify as a school protection officer and carry a firearm on school property with the proper training. Current law already allows a school district to allow those with a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm on school property – this would allow school personnel to undergo extensive police training.

States that no law shall require health care professionals to inquire about a patient’s ownership or possession of firearms and prohibits the documentation of such information into a database.

Reduces the age from 21 to 19 for those wishing to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Allows someone to qualify for a concealed carry permit using a revolver or semi-automatic pistol, rather than having to qualify with each firearm.

Requires one instructor for every forty people for the classroom portion of a firearms safety training course. Current law allows only forty people per classroom regardless of the number of instructors present.

Specifies that no public housing authority shall prohibit a lessee or a member of the lessee’s immediate household or guest from personally possessing firearms within an individual residence, common areas, or from carrying or transporting firearms to and from such residence in a manner allowed by law.

SB 656 will take effect thirty days after the veto session.

2. Branth

Branth Member

Good stuff, man. Each line of that bill sounds like a good idea to me.

3. GoesBang

It all goes into effect on October 10th.

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

MO is finally getting some balls, and blowing up a stupid Governor who doesn't listen to the people.

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    They'll re-elect him. Just watch.

7. cope

cope Member

he's term limited... he has 2 years left.... he plans to run for Pres in 2016

8. cicpup

Vermont
    All I know is last time I was in MO you clowns had just elected a dead guy. And y'all were happy about it.

9. Bull

A dead guy would prove more useful, by far!

10. Branth

Branth Member

Link? I never heard this.

11. cicpup

Vermont
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hey, as a teacher who can legally be armed at work...welcome to the club.:)

13. Hold on, now. Might not be such a bad idea, considering the sort of folks who run Washington these days.

Elect the dead! They're real peaceful-like, and won't blow up the Constitution and stuff!

14. GoesBang

15. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

I'll take a dead politician over 99.4 percent of the live ones in office.

16. cope

cope Member

yes it was a real push to vote for him........ in fact his opponent even pushed for it.......... since legally he couldnt win

this is of course counter to the neighboring state of Illinois.......... where we dont elect dead people....... but we do have each dead person cast several votes for Dems

Missouri definitely did something good by overiding the veto in this case....... now if they would just allow non-resident CCW I would be pleased

17. GoesBang

Missouri Revised Statutes
    Chapter 571
    Weapons Offenses
    Section 571.107

571.107. 1. A concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state.

18. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Now the law is being challenged in court by the antis.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

19. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

As a Missouri resident......yahoooooo !!! I have been wanting to conceal carry my S&W 44 mag with an 8 inch barrel but it is too large to hide. Now I can carry it in an open view holster.

20. Bull

You mean KC and ST.Louis.....