Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new pistol shooter, and bought the high point .45, I am thinking maybe it's more than I wanted. I just want somthing to play with yet big enough for personal protection if needed (Plus the 9mm would be cheaper to shoot). I thought about selling the .45 and getting a 9mm. Would the 9mm be big enough for personal protection if needed? what kind of range accuracy can be expected from a 9 mm? Would it be a mistake to sell the .45 and get a 9 or not?

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
If you're using it for personal protection, the C9 will definately stop the bad guy especially with hollow points in it, The C9 will be as accurate as you are (or I am anyway) Defianately alot cheaper to shoot and smaller too. I don't think you could go wrong either way personally but I'd vote for the C9 in this case. Just my uneducated opinion. :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Only two choices? Why not keep the 45 and get a 9? I'll add to the mix.

But to answer your questions:

Will 9MM do the PP job - absolutely. There's plenty of 9MM ammo out there and plenty of LEO and others using 9MM for prime carry gun, etc. Most of my handguns are 9MM.

Range accuracy - what's that mean? What are your objectives? 1 - you buy 9MM handgun for protection/carry/home defense. Your longest shot will be in the 10-15 yard range. Is a C9 "range accurate" for that? Yes. Should I be practicing that range? Yes.

If your objective is 15-50 yard target shooting - then a compact or short barrel 9MM may give you fits trying to score 10's. NOT impossible, but you'll need to be pretty good!

Do you intend to carry? Size of the 9MM may have am impact there too - smaller ones easier to carry, not as accurate out to "target" distances. YES, they can be if careful, etc. But if you need to shoot while carrying, it won't be from 50 yards.

So - net, the 9MM will do you well. Cheaper ammo means you'll practice more. There's good PP ammo out there. BUT the biggest decision you need to make first is, what am I going to use if for?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
cheaper = more practice. the 9mm is capable of killing somebody just like a .45. i would trust my life to a 9mm. practice practice practice is the key to putting as many bullets on target as possible.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Only two choices? Why not keep the 45 and get a 9? I'll add to the mix.

So - net, the 9MM will do you well. Cheaper ammo means you'll practice more. There's good PP ammo out there. BUT the biggest decision you need to make first is, what am I going to use if for?
Newskate's assessment is very good and these were my first thoughts. If you're not quite the gun nut (yet) and intend to keep only one pistol, I would recommend trading the 45 for a 9 (or sell one for the other). With that said, my personal gun nut preference is akin to Newskate's first statement: get and keep both! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
i suggest you go to the range and rent a 9mm... hipoint or not.... check out the difference in aiming... for me i can shoot re aim and shoot again four times with the 9mm as i did twice with the 45.... maybe cause i have a 9mm... but like the instructor told me... getting four shots off compared to the two with the .45 i will count on the 9mm.... now like i said this was my experience. not to say yours will be the same....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i suggest you go to the range and rent a 9mm... hipoint or not.... check out the difference in aiming... for me i can shoot re aim and shoot again four times with the 9mm as i did twice with the 45.... maybe cause i have a 9mm... but like the instructor told me... getting four shots off compared to the two with the .45 i will count on the 9mm.... now like i said this was my experience. not to say yours will be the same....
hmmmmm. sort of. For me gets back to objectives. 45's do have more of a kick on most cases - and let's assume for this discussion, they do. Aiming for target is very different than aiming for self defense. Target is about time, both sights, etc. Self defense is about front site and COM - Center of Mass. With the right grip, stance, technique, etc. the 45 won't be much (if any) more difficult for repeat shots than a solid 9MM. Remember - for self defense, COM is not an X at 50 yards.

My experience = when I started shooting a few years ago, I read everything, watched everything - I was a sponge (no weight comments, please). I got very good very fast at hitting X's. I was even asked to join the local target shooting guys on their team! I was thrilled. Then I started thinking about self defense and then carrying. THEN I started shooting self defense. Not only couldn't I hit the X over and over again, I sucked on COM too. It's a different mindset and set of practice skills. This does NOT intend to say you can't do both. This is intended to demonstrate how important understanding your objectives are. You'll see too, lot's of post on here asking - what should I buy for _________________. Filling in the _____________ is the most important part of the plan!

And last, after the ____________, the renting of a 9MM is an excellent suggestion by Kocher - go compare.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nine is a great personal protection gun .. I would keep the .45 and purchase the nine .. If your new to pistol shooting it just a mater of getting used to fireing a handgun .. I figure if you purchase the 9mm cp and practice after 500 or so rounds down range you'll handle the .45 real well .. I had the same when my first handgun was a .357 mag 2in snub .. The recoil and power of the gun were a bit much .. I used .38sp rounds till i got used to them .. I now love the.357 rounds as well as my frinds .454 casual snub .. Its just part of the adjustment period.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
wvmountaineer, Did anyone mention you need to put lead down range? LOLOL

I use the 9MM The military use a 9MM police use a 9MM (though most I've spoken to get that issued and carry as a 2nd.)
Lets see, 3" barrel vs 4 1/2" barrel. Longer is better for longer shots. In close quarters Accuracy counts more than size. (See, size does NOT always matter)

Personally, I would keep the .45 AND buy the 9MM

Best of both worlds. Then you can always look forward to buying the .40 and the 995 and the...................................

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
Here's one more option for you. I have a C9 new in box, that I've been trying to decide what to do with, keep? trade? sell? you know the deal. if you decide you want to get rid of the 45 maybe we can work out some kind of trade.

G

·
I've thought about that trade with some one, but My .45 works so good I'd hate to give it up. I think its too big for my hands.
I'd say keep both unless you just can't have both.

Rich

·
Registered
735 Posts
hey i sold mine to my boss because i needed cash to go to fla. for thanksgiving , i was sorry for a month so i asked to buy it back and he said no problem, man was i happy to get it back, im 6,1 300lbs and it fits me perfect.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would keep the .45

Sure, the rounds are more expensive. But when you put a .45 hollow point through someone's orbital socket, no matter how many bad guys there are after you, they're all going to have to wipe pieces of that guy's skull out of their eyes before they can fight you again.

See links to the many cases of criminals surviving 9mm headwounds to continue to fight on.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I would keep the .45

Sure, the rounds are more expensive. But when you put a .45 hollow point through someone's orbital socket, no matter how many bad guys there are after you, they're all going to have to wipe pieces of that guy's skull out of their eyes before they can fight you again.

See links to the many cases of criminals surviving 9mm headwounds to continue to fight on.
With the tone on the forum these days I worry about getting into a major disagreement. But I disagree. Not with keeping the 45, I said I'd keep it already. But for the reasons you state.

A 45 will do much more damage to anything than a 9MM. No doubt. Any shot will do more damage when it comes from a gun you practice with, can control, are comfortable carrying (if you will), and so on. Following your logic, sell the 45 and buy a desert eagle 50cal. The overwhelming majority of PP shots are not at the head. In fact, in your training head shots are not the target as first line of defense - COM is. And in your example, multiple attackers, while you are aiming for the orbital socket and likely missing due to movement, adrenalin, etc. I will have hit at least 2, and maybe 3 with double-taps right on their cocktail bibs.

Not to be argumentative, and I'm not expert for sure. But your reasons for keeping the 45 are more movie-lore than what you'd be trained on from an instructor. If you can put a 45 in an eye reliably, quickly, time after time, under pressure in life threatening situation.... you get the Chuck Norris award for the day! If you can put the 45's in COM under those conditions, then you're good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.