Moly Coating

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Taurus357, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Anyone know how this is done? It's gotta be pretty simple. Spray, dip, other, hows it put on.

2. A.C.P.

A.C.P. Member

I belive Midway shooters supply has 2 kits available. I have used the Ms Molly spray, Works quite well.
    then they have one for the case tumbler, i havnt tried that one yet.

3. Taurus357,

Are you looking to moly coat bullets? I have the kit from MidwayUSA which involves using a tumbler and powdered Molybdenum Disulfide. While this kit works well, it's quite messy and loud. Unfortunately, MidwayUSA doesn't sell this kit anymore. I guess the Moly craze pretty much passed. Here's some of the bullets I've done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second photo shows a batch I've done recently with some .243" 58 grain V-Max bullets. There's lots of residue on the bullets which needs cleaned off before loading.

I personally haven't noticed any velocity or accuracy advantages to using this stuff. It does give the bullets that "cool" look to them. I guess psychologically that makes them more accurate.

wizard93

4. That's so cool, I want to moly coat as I dont wanna put raw lead down my 1911.

5. I totally agree with that one!!!

What about using duracote? :?:

Think it might be possible, or even worth the effort?

6. duracoat? too expensive and time consuming. I'm going to have to try to find one of these kits used somewhere. Wizard, can you PM me some more information on this, as to what to look for, what this kit is called, what should be included, if you wouldnt mind, I could really use that information.

7. Interesting, everything I'm reading is talking about molycoating plated rounds, but the only moly rounds I've shot were cast that have been moly coated to prvent leading.

8. Yeah thats what I thought this process was for???? Not for Jacketed bullets???? Oh well.. I have alot to learn!!!!

9. What would be the advantage of moly coating a jacketed round? WTF?

10. I've never known anyone to moly-coat lead bullets. There is a bullet lube which has moly in it, but it's applied only to the lube groove. Supposedly, the best lube for preventing leading in a barrel is the Lee Alox bullet lube. It's used for the tumble-lube bullets. I've had excellent results from this bullet/lube combination and still use it some, even though I use conventional bullets and the RCBS LAM II.

If you're casting tumble-lube bullets with wheelweight alloy and lubricating with the Lee Alox lube, I can guarantee that you won't have any leading problems from a 1911.

wizard93

11. That is good news!!!!!! That is exactly what I am doing!!!!!! Glad to hear someone here has had great results.