MoM starting to go downhill?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by talon, Jul 18, 2015.

1. talon

talon the banned wagon

About 2 weeks ago i called MoM for two reasons.
    1) a replacent firing pin and springs for a 995 classic
    2) a replacement stock for a cracked one.

Well i was told HiPoint no longer replaces stocks under warranty, that i would have to send the carbine to them and pay a $40 service fee. Yea, eff that.
    Yesterday i called back as i still have not recieved the pin and springs and was told "it has not shipped yet, its free you just need to relax you'll get it".

I dont know what happenned to once awesome customer service, but its gone downhill quick since new ownership.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    The man who poured his life into it and successfully built it brick by brick with his own loving hands and only had trusted family members handling customer service went and sold everything to a corporation. What's not to understand?

Wonder how many folks from before the sale still work there?

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have heard in the past that NOBODY sells a business that is making too much $$$. I think the new owner, had to come up with some HEFTY $$$ to buy this company. He has worked at HP since the beginning & knew that if he didn't cut corners somewhere he would NEVER show a profit. Cutting off the Stallard warranty was a must. He couldn't keep making parts for a gun 30 years old just fulfill a warranty that the previous owner didn't & shouldn't have complied to anyways. You are probably going to see several more changes in the future, some GOOD & some BAD? I would guess in this day of competitive sales, if he didn't make some changes, 5 years from now after he closes the door, & our lifetime warranty is only a distant memory, we would say MAN HP used to be a GREAT company!

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

All of them except Shirley Deeb. Mike Strassells wife took over Shirley's job. Eveybody else is still there. Mike Strassell has worked in the factory since day one. He was the original designer of the 995 Carbine & the C9. The girls say that HP is just way too busy. They are still working on the concept that this bubble is going to burst & things are going to go back to the way they used to be. They don't want to hire people & later have to lay them off.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Well........without the no-questions-asked warranty it's just going to be another cheap gun.
    Maybe it's time to send in my .45 JHP before they scrap all free labor.

6. cicpup

Vermont
    So it was bought by an ambitious employee and not a corp? Well gawd bless his heart. I wish him the best.

Still though, it's not his baby. He will never be as sentimental as daddy was. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see them follow the written warranty.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

I wish the new owner the best too, i lovemy carbines, more so than guns triple thier price, but ill be damned if "just wait" after 2 weeks and still not shipping parts will ever be something i consider even marginally acceptable.

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've still got at least one carbine on my short list of needed guns...

9. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

neither of my hi points need anything, but as many of us did, i bought them not only for price but for the warranty. So what exactly are the details on this new warranty? The lifetime warranty is gone now and it's a limited warranty with what exactly?

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I still want a 4595 lol

11. cicpup

Vermont
    2 minutes or 2 feet out the door. Whichever comes first.

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I doubt that they'll get rid of the warranty. Some cases might be more heavily scrutinized, but the warranty will stay in place. There are certain parts that are subject to rapid wear and breakage over time, and HP will want to make sure that those vulnerable components don't end up defining their firearms.

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

Id say a stock that's developed stress cracks is a relatively important part, one that dismissing might just lead to defining the firearm should it finally fail.

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Stress cracks are definitely something that should be warranteed. Where are they appearing, just out of curiosity?

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Hope they get their stuff together.

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its a used gun granted, but there's one on each side right at the rear of the reciever (stocks thinnest point) and another at one of the bolt holes. On another 995 classic i picked up.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    I would say they're no longer making monkey stocks and want you to upgrade to a TS. $40 is the going rate for one. Your warranty covers the extra $20 for them to install it. So there's that.

And before you say it, "Yes", they should provide it for free since the original is cracked.

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

Nope. That was for them to put a replacement monkey stock on it. They did ask if i wanted to upgrade for the same price however.

19. cicpup

Vermont
    Well Sir. In my expert opinion, "That's Bull$#!t".

20. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Over the years Hi-Point has sold a good amount of carbines. I suspect most people who own one would be willing to purchase at least one or more higher capacity magazine(s). I have a hard time understanding why it wouldn't be profitable, for the company, if a higher capacity magazine was offered by the new owners of Hi-Point. Couldn't they sell such a magazine for a reasonable profitable margin considering the amount of owners who would buy them?