Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Greg, and I am a Hidden Woodsmen-aholic.

There, I have self-identified. They say it's the first step to overcoming an addiction.

Mr. Coderre of Hidden Woodsmen fame put on a sale. As I was stocking up on assorted pouches I took a quick glance at the Forest Rucksack which was listed as a sale item as well. Was not real interested in the pack as I was well equipped with the Hidden Woodsmen Day Ruck and Deep Woods Ruck. Along with a couple of Haversacks. Besides the Forest Rucksack just would not live up to the standards of the Day Ruck. The back of the Forest Rucksack and the straps just did not look as....substantial....as what was on the day ruck. But the earth brown color was one of what was on sale. Not a real fan of camouflage but I do like earth tones and earth brown is an earth tone. Plus it was $100 off the regular price. A spare pack would not hurt. So with a click of a button I added one to my cart.

When I came home the next Friday from my weekly foray into the business world, the Forest Rucksack, along with various other Hidden Woodsmen pouches were waiting for me. At first glance the Forest Rucksack was exactly what I thought it would be. The materials and workmanship were top notch. A pretty plain back with thin straps. But the back did have some pretty nice padding thrown in. I threw it on just to see and....man! I really like the way these straps fit around my neck!

Throwing some random stuff into the rucksack just to add a little weight, I took,a short walk. A half mile up and a half mile back. The Forest Rucksack wore very well. I took the "stuff" out and loaded up my gear for an overnighter. I liked that everything fit inside rather than hanging on the outside of the pack. This pack is just big enough. A complaint is that the side pouches were too small to hold a standard water bottle. I found this to be not true. One pouch holds my 40 ounce Kleen Kanteen, the other holds my Stanley cook kit with a nesting cup. They fit perfectly. The "possible pouch" built into the lid of this pack is a very nice touch and a great place to store items that you might need to get to quickly.

Saturday afternoon I donned the pack and stepped off to the local state park. The pack rode well fully loaded. The straps were of no concern. Perfectly adequate. Upon arrival I set up my hammock and tarp, built a small fire, grilled a flat iron steak and boiled some saffron rice to go with it and settled in for the night. Zzzz. About 3am, as is normal for me, I woke. Stoked the ashes into a breakfast fire and cooked up some bacon and eggs. Coffee made over a campfire is so good! I broke camp, cleaned up, made sure the fire was completely out and stepped off back home. I was home to spend Sunday with the family before they woke.

The Forest Rucksack performed well. It was a very comfortable pack and carried more than I needed for a simple overnighter. I look forward to many more overnighters with this pack.
F5E3BC14-69B8-4C4A-B9A4-FE5CFD5D6C28.jpeg
A2687F59-1EF2-4050-B8CF-AC6BCE508476.jpeg

Reactions: 7000al

·
Premium Member
35,651 Posts
Very nice.
You need a sheath or edge protector for that axe. Some leather, a few brass rivets and a leather thong should do it.

Reactions: greg_r

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice.
You need a sheath or edge protector for that axe. Some leather, a few brass rivets and a leather thong should do it.
Very nice.
I do need one, very much so. Thinking about the Hide and Drink one off of Amazon.
D0D05413-F177-47FA-9310-C50CE2C52927.jpeg

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
35,651 Posts
Stupid young punks.

Guess what flip flops were called back in the day?

That's right. We wore our thongs on our feet. That thing they call a thong now was a G-string. I guess when everyone started pole dancing at home, they had to remove the stigma, or something.

I was thinking more like this.

But Hide and Drink does a nice one, with the old fashioned buckle.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stupid young punks.

Guess what flip flops were called back in the day?

That's right. We wore our thongs on our feet. That thing they call a thong now was a G-string. I guess when everyone started pole dancing at home, they had to remove the stigma, or something.

I was thinking more like this.

But Hide and Drink does a nice one, with the old fashioned buckle.

I like the bottom one from Hide &Drink as well. I think I would prefer the whole head covered though.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread is going into uncharted territory fast!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts