more lead

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by greg_r, Feb 2, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Picked up another 200 lbs of used wheel weights. Still $0.20 per pound. Last I bought from him had very little steel or zinc, this lot appears to be about the same. Will start turning it into ingots in a week or two, see if I did OK again.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    NICE!
    But that is only like 6,000 rds of 45 ACP 230gr :eek:
    Doesn't go very far, does it? :( :eek:

3. greg_r

Or 12,000 9mm, or 3400 45/70, or 25,000 22 Bator, or....

4. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

How much in .38special 158gr swc? :D

5. greg_r

Just over 8,800.

6. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Wheel weights are all gone here. The communist creep is well under way here.

7. greg_r

Started sorting the wheel weights today. It about like the last batch I bought from him. Mostly lead, I do have a few zinc and about a handful of steel. If it continues this way, looks like I'm going to have a coffee can full of waste. Pretty happy with my purchase so far.

The only tool so far is a wire brush. Last time I found a few wrenches! I will purchase from him again.

8. How do you tell the difference? My dad started doing tire changes about a year ago. He has lots of weights saved for me. But I cant really tell the difference. I was just assuming that all the lead was probably gone by now.

9. greg_r

Look for "Fe" or "ZN" on the piece, that identifies steel or zinc. I have an old head off a sledgehammer. Tap the wheel weights against it. The lead will "thunk" zinc and steel will "ping. If still in doubt, try to cut them with a pair of dikes. You can cut lead. But not steel or zinc. Finally use a lead thermometer. I keep my melt between 650 and 680 degrees. The steel and zinc will float and you can skim it off. Zinc melts a bit above 700 degrees. Just one or two zinc weights will ruin your alloy and it will be worthless for casting bullets.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Zinc and steel are some much less dense that you should be able
    to tell by eyeballing it and weighing it in your hand, Elsey...
    After you calibrate yourself!
    LEAD=Small and Heavy
    Zn & Fe=Bigger and Lighter

11. thanks guys, I have a feeling there isn't much lead in the buckets. But id be happy to find a couple pounds. IS there anything the zinc and steel are good for?

12. greg_r

Might not be as easy as you think, but yes,I can usually pick them out by just eyeballing. The steel especially. The zinc is a bit harder to discern. When in doubt, check it out. Not worth messing up a pot of lead because you missed a zinc weight. The sledgehammer head is really fast. Tink goes in the scrap, thunk in the pot.

13. greg_r

I throw them in a scrap bucket, along with the dross from smelting. Take them to the recyclers down the road and dispose of them. Get a few of dollars for them and give to whichever of the grandkids is with me to buy ice cream with. Other than that, not much I guess.

14. histed

histed Supporting Member

15. histed

histed Supporting Member

I'm told that, if you keep the heat under 700*, the zinc will float and stay solid. Never tried it - don't have a lead thermometer AND I can't afford to loose a batch. Try Harbor Freight for the cutters - cheap enough to get 2 pair

16. greg_r

I run my melt between 650 and 680 degrees. Zinc dosent melt until over 700 degrees. Watch your temps though, they can rise faster than you think!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Does it make it too soft or two hard?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. greg_r

It Causes surface tension, will not fill out the mold. Makes unusable bullets. Lead melts at around 630 °, zinc at 780°. So watch your melt and you can skim it off. A mixture of 1 to 10,000 it ts said is enough to cause problems. Tap it on a piece of metal, " if it tinks, it's zinc".

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  19. histed

histed Supporting Member