More on Micro Stamping

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Hermitt, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Gun rights groups await judge's ruling on California's 'microstamping' law

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...judge-ruling-on-california-microstamping-law/

2. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

The technology seems like a good idea on its face until it's pointed out that the criminals will know how & where to remove this. Then it becomes obvious that it's a political move to enslave the people.

Anyone that's been here a hot minute knows my political stance on these things. It's a political law that really isn't going to help people.

Why don't the politicians actually make laws that would help? Certainly more money for mental health issues, but what if they concentrated on the public at large? Funding gun safety classes, that sort of thing? What else could we help the legislators push that would highlight the positives about firearm ownership and use? Really put the 2nd Amendment in a positive light?

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Given the fact that bolt faces, chambers and firing pins already leave characteristic patterns on cases, not to mention the unique markings that barrel bores leave on bullets, there is already enough evidence that investigators can harvest from shooting scenes. This entire micro stamping scheme is just an intentional obstacle. It will aid investigators little more than the rest of the trace evidence already does.

I hope that the Kaliforniastan fascists get shut down in court.

4. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

What happens when the firing pin needs to be replaced?

5. Fracman

Fracman Member

I have often wondered this lets start with revolvers there could be a different markings on the bullet for each cylinder. Now let's think about different muzzle velocities each making different markings. What about some reloads say a person does not get the bullet centered properly or does not crimp the casing correctly. This is just my opinion I have no facts. But these are things that affect accuracy. How could it not affect the markings on the bullet

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If I were a criminal, I'd pull the pin or striker and rub it on a bit of concrete, or a sharpening stone for 30 seconds, and defeat the stupid system.:rolleyes:

Not to mention...what happens after 1000 rounds as the pin is worn down? Is it still going to be the same micro stamping as it was when sold?

It is utterly asinine.

7. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

None of that really changes rifling, each gun leaves it's own microscopically unique fingerprint in the rifling marks....however rounds recovered from bodies require a gun to test them against, usually they are destroyed or discarded not long after being used.

8. Fracman

Fracman Member

I understand that the rifling stays the same in each gun as long as it is the same barrel. What my thinking is that if the bullet hits the forcing cone of the barrel it will travel down the barrel differently causing different marking. I have a tough time believing that if I shoot a 357 mag and a 38 special out of the same gun they will have the same markings. then i would like to see how they prove that bullet came out of a 357mag and a 38 special. There is just to many variables.

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

One of these days gun companies are gonna tell these states that they'll only sell citizen compliant firearms to their police and military forces. After all, if it's good enough for Joe Blow, then it's good enough for Johnny Law. Bet the complaints would be limitless, and the politicians might even consider getting rid of some of the laws, but I doubt it. Only "smart" 5 shot .38spl revolvers for police; don't want to risk criminals stealing police issued firearms now do we?

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

That sir is my dream also. If a majority of the gun manufacturers did that the police depts would have the politicians change their laws pronto.

11. If one is reloading for say a .38 and has some concerns about a bullet matching the rifling, you use a .32 cal cast bullet with O-rings in the lube groves.

Thats an old process from used in Oz by certain classes of people.

12. Blue

Blue Member

IL
    Criminals will just switch to wheel revolvers, or they will become neater and tidier perhaps not roll the window all the way down for drive by shootings.
    Either way the motto will be: "No brass left behind"

Although in the street it will be "Yo an ass to leave brass"

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because few voters actually are willing to vote their money to that. Psychologically speaking, it's just too indirect for most people to really follow; the payoff is too far out and inobvious. Further, politicians don't want to do it because it doesn't make them look "tough on crime." If you're "soft on crime" you don't get reelected (Judges too, which leads to an unbalanced sentencing standard). To be blunt, human psychology won't allow for the smarter path in a democratically driven system.

We saw exactly the same thing with drug abuse. Many decades ago, we found that allowing drugs to be legal and funding substance abuse programs and "free public" treatment programs was actually a lot more effective and produced far better results than our current path of criminalizing everything and then chucking them in jail. But we also found that the voters don't want to be "soft" on drug-heads. Screw 'em. They made their choices, they should just man up, stop using, get a job, and be a productive member of society. So we end up spending between 50 and 100 times more (depending on who's making the estimates) for the criminalization path and getting far poorer results. Because people are short-sighted and politicians don't want to be "soft" on crime. :(

I took a semi-mandatory Hunter's Safety class when I was in Jr. High, paid for by the State, and administered in "Public School," in Indiana.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I wish. But money will always drive someone to sell the "special" gear. Heck, even if EVERY SINGLE U.S. manufacturer were to agree, LEO organizations are still buying Glock and the U.S. Military is still buying Berettas. The gun laws in Italy and Austria aren't exactly "lax" or "friendly."

Let's face it, as far as modern firearms are concerned, they're basically a fungible commodity.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Or, they'd just keep buying Glocks and laughing at us Peasants.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. papataylor

papataylor Member

We still have mandatory hunter safety classes here. They're a wonderful resource for children to have.

Adding an exclusive gun safety component would surely help the accidental shootings we've been having.

Heck, in VA having hunter's safety qualifies you for CCP. More people who are qualified = more people carrying = more people practicing at the range and learning proper gun safety

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I remember next to nothing about the Hunters Safety course I took all those years ago. I got a booklet, we had to watch a movie, had some lecture, then a short scantron test.

What I remember from it is, wear blaze orange, and always be sure of your target and what's beyond.

I'm sure that the rest of the safety rules were in there too, as well as something about not drinking booze, but well, it's just too long ago. Wish I'd kept the booklet. It'd be interesting to read it now.

FWIW, I remember even less about the Boater's Safety course that I took at the same time. :blush:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk