Mosin 1932 Tula project

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by mrgreen, Aug 23, 2014.

1. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

This is my project now that i bought another rifle finally

Bought a carbon fiber knob and bent bolt. I lopped off the bolt and used a TIG to attach the new handle.

Did some polishing and stuff too the bolt for now

Attached Files:

2. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Driiled and tapped the HEX receiver for the RSI scope base.

Purchased a scope( i know not high end but i have 5 of these and love them for under $100) that comes with rings and sunshade etc. I don't really use the illuminated colors but for the price who cares for a mil dot;)

3. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Lopped off the end of the barrel and threaded it for my suppressor but for now a tanker MB

OH 5/8 x 24 right and yes i crwoned it too

Attached Files:

4. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Archangel stock with my custom monpod. I have to find a way yet to capture the monopod when not in use.

I have knocked off the rear sight, sanded it down and it is ALMOST not visable with the black base coat down

Attached Files:

5. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

OK the OEM trigger was IMO incapable of accurate grouping even with quality amo etc so i swapped it out with a Timney trigger w/safety. I can tell you this trigger is awesome but expensive $89 shipped for most with a Mosin i suppose but on the money i saved on some of the other parts it was a must.

I saw my buddies bag a work LOL and decided on my new paint theme;) I have ordered my duracoat and will update when i get the whole gun, stock, scope coated but for now it is all black. I will post some semi finished as is pictures here in a hour or so

Attached Files:

6. papataylor

papataylor Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1408800608.624824.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

7. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think your rings are too high. Lower, as close to the bore as possible, is generally considered the best option.

I'd love to hear how the gun sounds when suppressed. I just cannot imagine how big the can would have to be to get it down to .22 levels.:p

9. Indeed the rings look a little on the high side but that's one of the sweeter mosin's I've ever seen.

10. papataylor

papataylor Member

If you wanted a modern long range 7.62x54r why not get a vepr, PSL, or dragunov?

You could've atleast used a T53 or round receiver.....

11. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Rings did appear to be a bit high too me when i got them, but after trying some other ones i had even with the cheek pad down it did not feel comfy enough so i went back to the taller ones. There was plenty of adjustment on the scope, and the base is rock solid LOL so no real worries.

12. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I wanted a cheap DIY fun gun, mission accomplished;)

13. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Rough base coat down for now. I can say making the rear sight dove go away was a bit of a pain in the hoo hoo but compliments the project IMHO

I am going to shoot it agin and see if i can get some 1" groups at 100Yards with some brass then do some reloads with silverips, maybe shoot some coyotes off my deck this fall:D

Paint will be here end of this coming week then i will do the camo theme as well as sort by captured monopod then on to the next project

Thanks for the comments

Attached Files:

14. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I tried my .338 Lap suppressor and it was too loud still as you can imagine. I also tried a .30 cal i use on many of my .30 rifles and of course it is not quiet by any means although no muffs needed. You can't hunt ANYTHING in my state legally with a suppressor but i am thinking at night with it on my Mosin might sound like a bit quieter so i don't bother people;)

15. papataylor

papataylor Member

You've done to that mosin what Obama has done to the constitution.

16. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

What, take a 82 year old simple rifle and turn it into a classy 82 year old rifle;)

The whole purist thing has eluded me thus far but luckily i still have this so if it comes to me i can sleep at night:D

Attached Files:

17. I'd say slug the bore before your go chasing accuracy the diameter in these guns can really vary.

18. papataylor

papataylor Member

Purist thing?

Oh you mean that whole "respect the lives lived, lost, and spent fighting behind this rifle I own" thing

Gotcha.

19. Unless the rifle has some blood or hair stuck in the action I imagine it sat in a box overseas somewhere most of its life and seen zero action.

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

You know how many poor bastards had those crates dropped on their' toes?......... Show some respect!