Mosin 1934 Tula Archangel Project

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by Visper, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Well its complete, took me a little over 3 months (mostly waiting on funds for parts) But I think its done!

I was determined not to hurt this rifle in any way, shape or form so it took some thinking outside the box. I didn't want to have a scout setup but an actual 6x24x50 scope. I didn't want to get the bolt "bent" or tap the receiver so this was my solution.

First things first, I re-blued the barrel. Took me a bit but I wanted to get it nice and dark. It was a bit of prep and we'll see how well this cold blue holds up. At that point i put it in the Archangel stock and the muzzle break from Mosin Plus.

This was my first stage of test fires. Only put 20 rounds down range one day to see how well everything held up. I had to re-tighten the set screws on the break (and they do recommend checking them after 5 rounds) but the receiver bolts held well on the Archangel Stock (used blue loctite as recommended). The break Definitely helped a lot with muzzle rise and the stock itself was way better than the metal butt plate. Was even more enjoyable to shoot. Felt recoil was not even close to what I am use to on these.

So now that I got this where I could, I started gathering the next set of parts. I started with the UTG Mosin Nagant Tri-Rail Mount. It went on fairly easy and was solid. I was thinking about the brass stacker one but ultimately decided on this one. All the reviews I read between the two where relatively close so I went the more cost effective route. Easy enough to remove the existing rear sight and dove tail leaf spring. Then I decided to add a UTG medium Riser to get the scope I would purchase high enough to use the standard bolt.

Once again went to the range and put another 20 rounds down range. The mount held solid and didn't loosen up (once again thank you loctite).

Finally, I decided to go with a UTG 6x24x50 scope. Here is the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D9HZ1K...=UTF8&colid=PM89ZOU0CGF&coliid=I2IZY0579QSAKO
    (this says FSI but I received a UTG)

It wasn't expensive, but I didn't want to invest $400.00 or so on a scope that I wasn't sure this setup would work on. Even says it held zero with 150 rounds of .50 fired through it and "superior" shock resistance. UTG has a lifetime warranty so I intend on putting that to the test also!

Received it today. Mounted the rings, then the scope. Made sure I had good eye relief. I'm about at the max, rough estimate with my tape shows me right around 3.25". The scope also sits up at 3.5" from center of barrel to center of scope.

When I got it where I wanted it I put a small bullet level on top of the scope and tightened down the rings. Now i just have to bore sight it and get her to the range and finish sighting her in @ 100. Its kind of a shame that my range's largest is only 200yds, but it will have to do till i can find some friends with a lot of land to stretch her legs lol.

Now it seems sturdy enough, and with the break this should hold up well. Only a visit to the range and time will tell.

I must admit, its a thing of beauty (well at least to me) and it can very easily be restored to original condition if i ever choose to do so.

So without further ado, pictures:

Attached Files:

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Not too shabby!!!

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Yours looks really good! The one I had, was done by an amateur with no patience?

Attached Files:

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Why is the bolt handle the length of an elephants trunk? Everything else looks good.

5. Visper

Thank you everyone, I really wanted to take my time on this and hope it showed that.

Still have to see how this will hold up at the range with everything on it and I'll update this when I get there. Been so damn busy at work (weekends even...) I've barely had enough time to work on this project at night... many late nights, but I find it relaxing and fun so no biggie!

If anyone is planning on doing this, just take your time and you'll be very pleased.

Macho, yours looks great also (well except the extra long bolt handle as Plano pointed out) but all in all still a damn nice looking rifle! I love your break, is that the one from Witt Machine? I still may wind up going that way on mine.

I like the one from MosinPlus but Witt Machine version just gives it a nastier look and from everything I read is a great addition. Still have to save up for a Timney Trigger upgrade but that will be it.

6. MachoMelvin

It was an amateur bent bolt!

7. Back2School

Back2School Member

Damn you guys are making me want to "modernize" mine.

Unless you guys can tell me what I am doing wrong with the stripper clips, I need the magazine :(

Every time I go to load rounds, the top round is too far back and seems to get caught up at the very back and will not chamber. My fingers dont fit down in there very well to move them forward.

If nothing else, it is an excuse to get the Archangel stock :)

8. MachoMelvin

I have a very nice looking original Mosin. But If I woud get another one, I'll just buy one of these.

Attached Files:

9. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I am also looking to do a custom Mosin. Want to make a big game rifle. That's why I am now looking to trade my JCP for a Mosin.

Personally, I just want to go with the Monte Carol stock by ATI. I was thinking about just buying the bent bolt to not have to worry about a rizer. Trying to find a good scope mount though for that stock.

10. Visper

Scout Scope or standard? I'm pretty sure the brass stacker mount works fine with the Monte Carlo Stock and is nice and low to the barrel and still allows use of the irons, if your going with a scout scope setup.

I have also heard of a few that actually modified the stock with a standard AK side mount, reading through some forums months ago when I was deciding the direction I wanted to go. A dremel and some confidence you wont screw it up would be the requirements there I would think. Not sure how well this would hold up but some research would be in order.