Mosin advice

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by farmkid, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Shudder: I _hope_ this hasn't been covered; if it has, I can't find it in search. So here goes...

I'm looking for an MN. I hope to find one locally, without FFL and shipping, but so far, no luck. So, let's look at the internet options:

1) Beautifully refinished Ruskies for well less than an C-note.
    2) As-imported Ruskies for the same price.
    3) Chinese T34s for a song, but rough.

The considerations: The refinished ones are probably beautiful, but have lost the patina of battle and arsenal abuse.

The as-imported ones bear the brunt of years, are not as pretty, but flaunt a coolness factor that has not been erased from a refurbished arm, beautiful though it may be.

The T34s are rough as all get out because of the way they were packed for shipment, but my understanding is that the action is _very_ solid, and they carry the cachet of being the ones our guys faced down in Viet Nam.

So: what say ye?

And, as a p.s., what kind of stock? I know that laminated seems to demand a premium, but my personal taste leans toward solid, since I'm a woodworker and like grain.

I'll leave hex vs. round out of this for the time being, as I'm trying to keep it simple.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Well depends if you are looking for a shooter or some history or what.

Get a M38 and restore it yourself... But the 91/30s are cool too!

3. neothespian

neothespian Member

The Chinese rifles, aside from MOST of their products, often seem to carry the same descriptions from shooters all over the world: Durable, heavy but lack the fit and finish of Euro and Soviet hardware. They build for numbers, not finish.

I opted for a Soviet M44 but one that was pressed after the war (1948). It was arsenal grade requiring a LOT of boiling, scrubbing, oiling, and polishing but it came out great and shoots even better! Bolt action is still a bit sticky but I have yet to buff it up to standards I suppose.

Either way you go, I honestly don't see a "wrong" answer as long as the price is under 100 bucks. Of course in Arizona EVERYTHING is overpriced (most Polish units go for $140 and the Soviets for $160 because *gasp* they're SOVIET...as the pawn shops say). Hit up your local Big 5 if you have one around. They carry a ton of M44's and 91/30's and have very good prices. That's where most of the guys in the Southwest are buying theirs from what I hear.

4. You could also try your local gun show. Also, be sure to check around the different gun stores to see who does FFL transfers and how much they charge. The prices here in Vegas vary from $10 to $50 depending on who you go through. We have a background check every time you purchase here as well unless you have a CCW permit. So, if it is the same for you, I find that purchasing two or three rifles at the same time eases the sting a little.

5. I started out with the long rifle, the MN 91/30 and am for some reason, glad I did.

I have not heard of any places selling the Russian rifles that have not been rearsenaled.

The Chinese Mosins would be the way to go if you want pure history, the ones I have seen have not been rearsenaled and would have the most history.

Of course, if your rearsenaled Russian rifles receiver/barrel and stock were at the battle of Stalingrad, a coat of varnish and bluing and a different bolt will not change that fact.

I started out just buying one out of curiosity and now I have 4 of the darn things. They can grow on you.

6. I have a Russian M91/30, but I agree that if you want something original, you need to get one with matching part numbers.

7. I'd want it for a shooter, bit would plan to leave it military original. Rebluing and stock refinishing might be an option, but if I find one in good condition, I'd probably keep it original; I appreciate the historical nature, but I won't be getting on as a museum display piece. Oh, and I should perhaps clarify: I consider rearsenalling at one of the Soviet arsenals part of a Mosin's history, and I have less concern about this than refinishing from scratch after import.

So far, I haven't found one locally for a price that doesn't exceed what I'd pay for a remote weapon, shipping, and FFL fee (my local FFl is pretty reasonable: $20 for pistols and $25 for long arms).

Based on your comments, I think I'm leaning toward a good, original European model, but any further suggestions based on my clarifications are welcome.

8. All 4 of my Mosins are stamped number matching Re-arsenals....all beauties....

9. P.S.

Look into a C&R license...glad I did...been 7 yrs now....