Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a M-44 for my son's first deer rifle. Sadly, he can handle the recoil, but it's still to heavy for him to aim. I have heard that the fiberglass stocks at ATI would bring the overall weight down, but have also heard if you remove the bayonet that it messes up the guns accuracy. Something about the barrel harmonics is what I heard. Any thoughts? Should I just leave well enough alone and let him grow into it? Or buy the ATI and make it lighter and more modern looking for him.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
In regards to the accuracy, a good buddy of mine did some sighting in with his M44 at the range. He found that after he took the bayonet off, accuracy improved considerably. That was just his own personal experience, though.

Synthetic stock? Sure--go for it! At the least, it will ensure that the original wood stays in mint condition. And yes--it'll definitely give it a more modern look which does appeal to certain people.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The M44 was sighted in with the bayo extended. Simply remove the bayo screw (its peened, so its easier said than done sometimes) and re-sight the gun. You will take about 2 lbs off the front of the gun.

About the ATI stock... it may be a touch lighter, but that is going to increase the felt recoil. For under $20 you can get a nice recoil pad that is a direct replacement for the metal butt plate.

http://www.combatoptical.com/catalog/MOSIN-NAGANT-M44-RECOIL-BUTT-PAD-448.html

That would be a better buy than the stock.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this in the "other firearms" forum, do you guys have any input.

·
Registered
927 Posts
ship it to me that will lighten it up..... j/k but would like to hear what can be done as well my wife has the same problem

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No not yet, I was probably gonna take it off when I get a new stock

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would look into the weight of the ATI vs the wood before dropping the coin. The rifle is extremely front heavy, and that can make it difficult to handle. Try the free things first, then spend money.

The stock will weight maybe .5lb less, and is going to pull that weight from the back of the stock. The rear of the stock shouldn't matter, as he isn't supporting it with his arms.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.