Mosin Modifications

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Digger44, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Hey all, I just picked up my first Mosin 91/30 and have yet to take it to the range. I have read quite a bit about floating the barrel or even corking the end to make it more accurate.

What tips do you guys have to make this gun more accurate, enjoyable, or practical?

I am not into "bubba" guns and like to keep within the general ballpark of originality.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Just shoot it and enjoy it... :wink: It will never be a Remington 700 :lol:

3. Ditto...it is what it is....

4. I totally agree, but it is also a blast to learn how it works and what can be done to make it more enjoyable. Box O' Truth dialed it in impressively after corking it.

Don't worry i am not looking to modify the original in any way.

5. griff30

griff30 Member

Corking a mosin? Could someone splain that?

6. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

7. I think that grouping is very impressive for a Mosin.

8. Thats really interesting. I always thought that free floating would bring the best accuracy.

That is the kind of mods that I like to see. All you have to do is remove the cork and its back to its original configuration. :)

9. dont want to hurt anyones feelings but that is a good grouping for just about any rifle. got to try that trick.

10. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

did they say how far away they were? I didn't see any distances in the article.

11. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

DOH! first page. you can't say I'm not a typical dude...lol RIGHT in front of my face...

12. you bet it is. esp for an open sight high caliber canon almost 70 years old.

13. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

that's about how my zero targets looked for my M16...

I want a Mosin, if my wife could only forgive me for my wild night out here in Korea I could convince her to buy one for me *B*

14. HAHA!!! Korea getting the best of you eh? Are you on an un-accompanied short tour?

15. fattie

fattie Guest

mosin's are already very accurate. i was watching a show on the military channel about arctic warfare , and during ww2 a finnish sniper using a finnish m38 mosin got over 500 confirmed kills over a 100 day period using iron sights.

16. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

also remember Mosin's were zeroed for 200m shots.

so alot of us shoot at 100m and wonder why its off...

17. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

His name was Simo Hayha, and he was a total badass. http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html