Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a M91/30 at dunhams on sale. While playing around with it at home I've noticed my bolt stays closed very weakly. Holding the rifle crossways in front of me and snapping hard with my wrists can cause the bolt to fly open. If I dry fire it first the bolt will stay closed quite securely. I did find one mention on the web that compared to other rifles of the time (like my mauser, CZ BRNO 98/22) the bolt does work very loosely. Is it really supposed to be that loose or is that the way it works? All I know is my mauser locks down securely and works great. I'd hate to fire the mosin and have the bolt blow back, shear off, and lodge it self in my brain through my eye socket. That would really ruin my day.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Take it to a good gunsmith as soon as you can and do not attempt to fire that weapon before you do. I have over 90 Mosins currently and not one of them is even close to being as loose as the one you are describing. Do the numbers on the receiver match the bolt? If they do are they electropenciled on the bolt or do the stampings look the same and contain Cyrillic characters for the first 2 digits?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
mine locks nice and tight ,cocked or uncocked , i dunno what to tell ya . is it a matching numbers gun ? or at least matching number bolt and receiver ? if not maybe someone swapped out some bolt parts on it . better wait till some of the experts chime in .

well right as i posted krippp did too , so there ya go .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the gun again. It does take 3 or 4 hard snaps to flick up the bolt but I'm sure that's still bad. I don't know why I didn't think to check that in the store. As for markings... bolt has KH2764 which is the same as the barrel. Buttplate and magazine floorplate have lined out numbers and new ones matching the barrel and bolt. All of the matching numbers are somewhat crooked, although very clear. Only the floorplate has Cyrillic letters in the lined out number. If the bolt and barrel had numbers previous to these they must have been cleaned off pretty well, there's no sign of them.

Just saw an "electropencil" example. That's not what I have on any parts.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If there's any doubt in your mind, be safe and take it to a gunsmith.

I have two mosins, and neither acts like yours. Honestly, most people have the opposite problem, and their bolts are sticky.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, most people have the opposite problem, and their bolts are sticky.
Once dry fired I do have what I assume is the sticky bolt problem I've read about. Just takes a lot of force to open it back up, right? Wish I just had that problem instead of switching from loose to stuck.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
well after a dry fire the next time you open the bolt you're also cocking the firing pin , so thats why it's harder to open it , once cocked you can open and close the bolt pretty easily since it doesn't have to cock the firing pin . generally when i see people with sticky bolt it's to the point where they bring a rubber mallet with them to open the bolt .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sticky bolt syndrome only happens (usually) after you've fired the rifle using steel cased ammo with a laquer coating. SBS doesn't happen during dry firing. If the bolt does indeed hang after a dryfire, then there is something wrong with the rifle. I'd do a search for headspace specs and get your gunsmith to check it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts