Mosin Nagant 91/30

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gasman42, Jan 21, 2016.

1. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    Quick look at my Mosin.. It's a pretty sorry review but I'm injured and had some technical problems.. Still worth a look if your a fan of the Mosin

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23lZqCmOycc[/ame]

2. desertrider

desertrider Member

The wood looks pretty good on that rifle. I have a 91/30 too, but I've never bothered to clean up the stock, it's got a few dings and scratches, but they don't affect how she shoots, so I just consider them "character marks".:D

3. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

I cleaned my stock with steam, it came out really well

4. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Works real good. I cleaned up my Garand and million year old Winchester with steam.

5. desertrider

desertrider Member

Other people have suggested I use the steaming method to draw out the dents/dings on a couple of my C&R milsurps.

I was told to put a cotton t-shirt soaked in hot water over the ding, and then place a pre-heated iron over it for 30 seconds or more and inspect/repeat until the wood swells.

Is this the method you guys used?

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Yes, but it end up spotty as you're removing years of oil and gunk also.

7. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

I used a shark steem cleaner and while keeping it moving sweaped over the whole stock until the oil oozed. Kept this up until it looked good.

There was no saving my type 53 though

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you are removing stuff, you are doing it wrong.

Besides, its shellac...just get some alcohol, wipe the thing down, smear the old shellac around, and smooth it all out again.:p

But, it works better if you strip, steam, and then re-apply a finish.

9. 31U_Airborne

31U_Airborne Member

I was just looking at a few Mosin Nagants on classic firearms.. they want too much and they claim they only remove them from a crate n send them.... b.s. they steam clean the Cosmolene off. clean the and they swap out parts... Effing AHoles...

So my search continues on....