Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Mosin-Nagant Carbine

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  cicpup 
#1 · (Edited)
Some years ago I bought a Mosin-Nagant Carbine (folding spike bayonet, etc.). I soon realized that I was far too girlie-man for such a manly rifle. I know that the Russians went all out for comfort and thoughtfully placed a nice cushy steel buttplate on the end of the stock, but, well... I just wasn't rough-'nuff for it.

I eventually gifted it to my brother.

This year I started researching Bayonet fighting systems again after not really keeping up my studies on the style for a while and I ended up teaching a class on one style of standard Brit. Enfield bayonet fighting. I borrowed a buddy's sorta-rare .303 and his definitely rare stamped bayonet (I forget where it was manufactured, but it's rare). I kinda regret selling my nazi marked K98 but I needed the money to fund my NRA Instructor training. Thus, I borrowed my brother's Mosin-Nagant Carbine just so class attendees could have some sort of comparison between rifles. Not a perfect comparison but something anyway.

Anyway, I later told my brother that, if he was willing, I'd like to buy it off of him when my hobby funds allow. A few days later, while visiting him, he pops out of his room with ammunition, some spent shells, and a smiling "it's yours if you want it" statement. :cool:

I still have to deal with the steel buttplate and my girlie-man shoulders. :( I'll probably just use an old hand-towel.

From what I've read, the Carbine version is a bit less common than the full size. Don't know if that makes it "rare" or not.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to hear it found it's way back to you. I have parted with a few firearms I would love to get back now.

The carbines are more uncommon but in the last few years there has been a big increase in them. I would guess it is a Russian M44 if it is from one of the soviet states it would be a little more rare. If you got in more than 5 years ago it probably isn't the China type 53 (same rifle just different type of wood stock) those are very common and are pretty cheap.

I really enjoy shooting the mosins they are full of history. I have used the towel but I bought a extra rubber shotgun recoil pad I just move it to the one I want to shot and enjoy.

#3 ·

From what I've read, the Carbine version is a bit less common than the full size. Don't know if that makes it "rare" or not.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
So you now have the M44 again! Good for you!

What year, what factory? Make's a difference to collectors, but generally, the M44 is nearly 50-100% more than the 91/30 in value. When the 91/30 was $90, the M44 was $150, now they are generally closer to $250.

Only made for about 10 years, so very much more rare than the 91/30.

There are other's that are more rare depending on year and factory, the M38 (basically a 91/30 with shortened barrel, like the M44 without an attached bayo) and the 91/59, (basically a later version of the M38, done in Bulgaria with the longer sight markings ground) off.

#4 ·
Yeah, M44. Darned if I remember the year. If I can shake the lazies long enough I'll shoot a few pics but, well, it looks just like every other one. :)

If nothing else, I'll try to double check the year.

Why am I so lazy lately?

I'll 'splain in in the Lounge...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#5 ·
Don't watch The Walking Dead? The M44/T53 is a serious life saver in the event of a zombie apocalypse. "Stab, Smash or Boom" Your choice. All three do the job nicely.

BTW I have one of those softer (ie hard rubber) butt pads lying around somewhere.If you want I can dig it up and send it to you. Holes are already drilled out to make it softer.

#10 ·
Don't watch The Walking Dead?
'Course I do. ;)

The M44/T53 is a serious life saver in the event of a zombie apocalypse. "Stab, Smash or Boom" Your choice. All three do the job nicely.
Is that M44 that Maggie is using the same one that The Claimers were using?

BTW I have one of those softer (ie hard rubber) butt pads lying around somewhere.If you want I can dig it up and send it to you. Holes are already drilled out to make it softer.
That's very generous. I accept. Thank you.

Because my name, address, and other details have never been a secret:

Kirk Lawson
6402 Larcomb Dr.
Huber Heights, OH 45424

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#11 ·
Just get one of those over the shoulder pads, you can move it from weapon to weapon until you learn to man up. :D

If you try some PPU 182gr ammo you'll find that it is not nearly as bad as that surplus stuff. ;)
Well, I think I've only got about 40 rounds of ammo so I'll look for it. Thanks.

The good news for me is that AIM is within driving distance. Heck, my wife works in the same city. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#12 · (Edited)
Well, I think I've only got about 40 rounds of ammo
Yup. 2 pale green boxes. Some sort of surplus. And one box of Barnaul once-fired shells. Probably berdan.

Green boxes are unmarked. Steel case. Copper colored. Tombac plated maybe? Stamped on top "86" and what looks to be "uxq" on bottom (Russian characters, I assume).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#13 ·
#14 ·
I believe so. Although I think it's a T53 too.
I'm not sure of the model. Probably a T53 because of budgetary limitations. Why pay more for something that looks the same?

No problem. I'll hunt it down this weekend and it should be in Mondays mail.
Please let me know how much postage is.

#16 ·
#18 ·
I tried some brass rounds at the range awhile back, can't remember the brand, but it was $25 for 20 rounds. i didn't even make it through the whole box before pussing out. One friend shot 1 round and he was grabbing his shoulder saying it kicked a bit much.
When I shot my video this past spring, I used the surplus silver tip ammo and it didn't kick near as bad as the new brass rounds did.

#20 ·
#24 · (Edited)
Looks like your butt pad problem is taken care of, but there are some available on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-MOSIN...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebf94137d I put one on my 91/30 and can confirm they're still pretty hard, but not quite as bad as the steel butt plate. You could also drill out the holes and possibly get a little more recoil relief. I haven't tried drilling mine so don't know if it would help or not. The butt pad also gives you an extra inch of pull.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.